Home > Trip Reports > January, 19, 2009, - Red Mountain

January, 19, 2009, - Red Mountain

1/15/09
WA Snoqualmie Pass
Posted by powtothepeople on 1/20/09 1:49am
Skied the west face and SW gully to Commonwealth. The approach was a bit of a maze to find the creek crossings, as others have said the creeks are mostly melted out with 5+ foot banks. Broke through the clouds at about 4200ft, where sun drenched slopes were softening nicely. We skied the west face twice between 3:00 and 4:00. Snow was perfect, T-shirt turns in January (thought I was back in Tahoe for a second). SW gully was a bit mushy but still good. Skinned out. Snow in the fog was managable, but not nice.

Saw that someone set some nice turns on the SE shoulder of Lundin. Good work.
Was this Monday the 19th or Sunday the 18th?  I was up there on Monday and skied off the top of Red at 3:00.  I didn't see any other skiers high on Red but did see old tracks from the previous day.  I also skied the SE shoulder of Lundin around 1:15, again saw old tracks but no other skiers.

It was monday. We skied the very west facing shot below the buttress (where the narrow chute is). We saw tracks on the WSW face (main pyramid shaped face) and a snowshoe/bootpack up. Was that you guys? A little suprised we didnt cross paths. I was with one other and my dog. Unfortunately no pics... need camera.

We must have just missed each other.  I skied the main pyramid shaped WSW slope skier's left of the big gully then traversed left of the runnels on the lower face.  I was alone.  Skinned up the bottom 2/3 of the slope then switched to booting for the last few hundred feet to the top.

Reply to this TR

january-19-2009-red-mountain
powtothepeople
2009-01-20 09:49:46