Home > Trip Reports > January 19, 2009, Lundin-Snoqualmie Saddle

January 19, 2009, Lundin-Snoqualmie Saddle

1/19/09
WA Snoqualmie Pass
Posted by John Morrow on 1/19/09 9:45am
Having returned last week from 6 weeks in the mid Atlantic, I needed a bit of prodding to get out the door, beyond this persistent Roslyn fog, for a day of skiing.  Fortunately, Jake C., Erik S., Dennis M. and Steve B. were not going to let me back out of this one complaining that I just wanted the weather to bring us new snow!

Quick Conditions report:

Access:  We took the left edge of the Sahale Ski Hill up to the base of the south side of Guye Peak and continued NE to cross Cave Creek at one meager snowbridge created by some logs.  All the major creeks have WIDE deep banks and nothing left in the way of bridging.  From there it is more NE travel up the minor shallow draw the puts one looking across at the base of Red Mountain's southwest rib.  Here we contoured up through old forest to the base of the Lundin Couloir slope.  Thanks to whoever put up the skin track the day before.  Onward and upward from there to a choice of options.

Conditions: From 5800 feet down to 4200 feet we were able to reap some of the supposed reported corn harvest!  Not getting an early start so Jake could arrive from Leavenworth, by the time we got above 5500 feet our pole plants were breaking through the freeze crust to about 6 inches.  Despite that whether on SE, S, or SW aspects ski penetration was a mostly ideal 1 to 2 inches!   Corn indeed.  The surface definitely had lost its smoothness for a variety of  reasons: rain runnels, avy debris, slide troughs, etc but the sun softened corn was pleasant despite that.
From 4200ft. back down to Pass level well, uh, different story in the forest.  As many have already experienced or can guess: everything from boiler plate, to rough dripzone crust, to tree litter, to hard ice.  But it is mostly a traverse out so it did not affect the positive experience of the sunny day.
Oh yeah, the fog line today was around 4000 feet.

Thanks you all for getting me back on the snow!  On account that my camera is broke perhaps Jake or Steve will post a couple of pics.
OK John, next Sunday I hope!

Lar

John, woody, eric & jake :: sorry these are slow in arriving.  skiing was great compared to our current
state

Fogle!  Welcome to the site and thanks for the pics.  Lets get out again with Woody soon.

J

Reply to this TR

january-19-2009-lundin-snoqualmie-saddle
John Morrow
2009-01-19 17:45:23