Home > Trip Reports > January 19, 2009, Nisqually Chute rerun

January 19, 2009, Nisqually Chute rerun

1/19/09
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by silaswild on 1/19/09 8:10am
Conditions same as yesterday, left Paradise around 945 with light breeze and temp around 50.  Took as short a break as we could at the entrance. Skied down 1215-1315. Yesterday's tracks were no problem in 1-2" corn at the top portion. Lower down not grabby today.   Nice of the park to open the road for the holiday. Closed until Saturday now I suppose.
Good to see you again Silas -- we got to the top of the chutes about 30 minutes later and it was just as good when we headed down.  Much as I'd rather not have corn in January, I'll take it when it's around.

Threw together a quick movie for the day as well, available here:

Inauguration Corn

Enjoyed the video.  Deftly done!

It was indeed a great ski down to the bridge. Considering the hard pack on Muir and ice on Pan face, I was pleasantly surprised. The glacier seemed pretty well filled in, the corn was great. It got a little heavy below the toe, but we didn't come down until 2:00. The bridge flagger said someone ran into trouble in the Nisqually Chutes. Anybody hear anything about that? Thanks again to Monica for the lift!

I think we must have dropped in right after you, snoseeker -- we skied to the right of that little clump of rocks in your picture and our tracks aren't laid down yet.

Great day -- unbelievable weather and perfect corn.

Nice video Marcus!
Love the split screen action and the last minute decision to extend your mileage.
Looked like a great group and perfect day!

Nice video Marcus!

I was at the Capitol Hill celebration that night, and skiing the Chutes on Saturday....

I'm sure we'll run into each other sometime!

- Matt

Nice vid Marcus!  Great ski you guys, way to get some good conditions and hammer in some lines!  Solid!

Reply to this TR

january-19-2009-nisqually-chute-rerun
silaswild
2009-01-19 16:10:36