Home > Trip Reports > January 18, 2009, East Peak (Crystal Mountain)

January 18, 2009, East Peak (Crystal Mountain)

1/18/09
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by Ritalin Kid on 1/18/09 2:13pm
Wow!  Washington Sweet Corn was ready for harvest today on East Peak. My bad for not getting any skiing shots, but here is a shot from the top!

We reached the top around 2 after a late start, but I think that payed off.  If we would have gone earlier it probably would have still been crusty.

Saw a few other parties up there...one group of struggling skiers picked a line that didn't get as much sun...watching them was scary (like watching someone play hockey in tennis shoes.

If the weather stays consistant tomorrow should be awesome.

My wife, brother and I skied this yesterday as well.  The corn was rediculously good.  Tons of fun on the way down and super easy skinning.  We had a late start as well and hung out for a bit to let the snow get softer which was a good call.  But seriously, enough with this corn, lets ski pow and harvest corn in the spring....

Chris

I checked out East Peak today with a couple of coworkers and the corn was just as good as the reports suggested. We tagged the summit at about 1pm and enjoyed the view before heading down. The snow on the SW aspect below the summit was just about perfect... a smooth hard base with an inch or so of soft stuff on top. Took a couple laps and then endured the refrozen ruts on the way out. But the line off the top was well worth the effort. Tomorrow should be good too if the clouds hold off. Then we might be done with the corn for the time being. Back to powder, please???

Reply to this TR

january-18-2009-east-peak-crystal-mountain
Ritalin Kid
2009-01-18 22:13:59