Home > Trip Reports > Jan 17, Camp Muir

Jan 17, Camp Muir

1/15/09
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by endlesswinter on 1/17/09 12:12pm
Left the Paradise parking lot at 9:45 and seemed to be ahead of the masses.  Warm temps w/ some wind.   The boot up to Pan Point was interesting, a sporty start to the climb, kicking steps. 

From ~7800ft to Muir the snow mostly looked like this:
http://cid-f4cddb586f0fc689.skydrive.live.com/self.aspx/Public/IMG%7C_0698.JPG
http://cid-f4cddb586f0fc689.skydrive.live.com/self.aspx/Public/IMG%7C_0702.JPG

The skiing was marginal up top but got smoother closer to paradase.  Got to the Nisq Chutes at 3:30 ish and decided against it (though was quite jealous of the tracks in there).  Solid day in all - sun, great vis, and a few sweet turns too...
The sporty boot up Pan Face resulted in a fall and dislocated shoulder for me on Saturday.  It went from easily kickable steps to ice near the top (around 10:00am).  We were the second group up the face on Sat.  Special thanks to Mike and his two companions who assisted me at the bottom while my companions had to wait for things to warm up to safely descend.  The field sling got props in the ER at Good Samaritan in Puyallup.  And more thanks to Steve and Bill (my companions) for their patience on the descent, the car ride and ER wait.  Not quite the corn harvest we were looking forward to in the morning. 

Fingers crossed that I will be able to keep the 39 month streak going next month.

Im sorry to hear that man.
Hopefully you will be fully healed before spring touring season.

author=spltbrdr link=topic=11948.msg49969#msg49969 date=1232388753]
The sporty boot up Pan Face resulted in a fall and dislocated shoulder for me on Saturday.  It went from easily kickable steps to ice near the top (around 10:00am).  We were the second group up the face on Sat.  Special thanks to Mike and his two companions who assisted me at the bottom while my companions had to wait for things to warm up to safely descend.  The field sling got props in the ER at Good Samaritan in Puyallup.  And more thanks to Steve and Bill (my companions) for their patience on the descent, the car ride and ER wait.   Not quite the corn harvest we were looking forward to in the morning. 

Fingers crossed that I will be able to keep the 39 month streak going next month.

Wow . Props on getting yourself down safely without calling for rescue. Did you reset the shoulder at site or wait until the ER. A friend of mine dilocated his shoulder deep in the BC and I watched as the guide tried to reset the shoulder three times before he was successful. My friend was vey brave as the pain was immense.
Get healed soon.

Thanks guys.  We opted to drive to the ER.  Didn't want a helicopter bill on my Visa!  It was about 3 1/2 hours from accident to putting it back in place at the ER.  We were unsure what damage was done so although we suspected it was a dislocation we weren't sure if anything else was awry.  Luckily x-rays showed a simple anterior/inferior dislocation.  They did a conscious reduction on me.  Knocked me out with Brevatol - 5 minutes and I woke up much better.

Anyone have recommendations on a good shoulder doc in Seattle?

I had some ligaments reattached after a snowboard fall and this guy was great.  Jim Hsu used to work on major league pitchers, plus his name sounds like he should be a sports doc. http://www.thesportsmedicineclinic.com/tsmc/physicians/Hsu.asp

Reply to this TR

jan-17-camp-muir
endlesswinter
2009-01-17 20:12:15