Home > Trip Reports > Silver Star North Cascades

Silver Star North Cascades

1/15/09
WA Cascades East Slopes North
Posted by Kyle Miller on 1/16/09 2:58pm
Hoping to find the last spot in Washington that still held Powder Dan and myself made the 280 mile drive up to Silver Star creek. The lower elevations still had thin coverage so skinning was difficult over all the fallen trees. As you could imagine from about 3,000 feet to 5,000 feet it was bullet proof. We made base camp at 5,000 and it was brutally cold (possibly below zero). When we woke up everything was covered in Surface hoar so we slowly got our gear ready for the long skin up too silver Star col. The snow was Mank above 5,000 feet until we reached 7,000 feet where it was wind buffed not quite powder but not quite Ice. When we made it to the base of the col we saw it was completely wind scoured so we went to some more wind protected chutes and boot packed up one. The snow was variable the whole way down with all sorts of conditions sadly the deepest pow we got was ankle deep but the views were incredible.

Here is the same TR with more pics
Sorry for the lame TR I have been driving for over seven hours
I really hate the traffic on Stevens Pass  ;)
Your guys' pics are awesome...read the tr on splitboard as well.  Good job on the advertising -  ;)  Too bad the snow conditions were crap.

Reply to this TR

silver-star-north-cascades
Kyle Miller
2009-01-16 22:58:37