Home > Trip Reports > Shirtless in the Olympic inversion...sorry no pics

Shirtless in the Olympic inversion...sorry no pics

1/15/09
WA Olympics
Posted by runcle on 1/16/09 1:15pm
First post and first time out with the Dynafit gear tlt bindings, tlt 700 boots and Volkl snow wolf skis.  I normally ski light telemark gear with leathers.  Total undercast at 2000 ft. From the summit of Hurricane Hill incredible bluebird views in all directions south to the Bailey Range, northward to the Mount Baker snowcone, Garibaldi, Glacier Peak, etc. The road  to the Parking lot was hard and icy on the way out but the snowmachine groomed it in the afternoon so it is perfect for all you skate skiers! ( I have seen maybe two in the last 25years up there.)

North faces and shaded areas are mostly hard refrozen granular or 1 inch  breakable crust with sugar below....tough turning.  Saw the remains of a fews soft point avalanches on the steeper south slopes mostly below warming rocks. There has been a tremendous amount of melting snow since the rains and the warmth from this weeks inversion.  Some rocks and grass beginning to show through now on exposed slopes. It looks and feels more like June! Intense sunshine made for very enjoyable skiable corn in the afternoon on South Facing steeper slopes. I really could have been skiing in shorts! Skinned back up through the trees to the road and flew down with the randonee gear!

In hindsight, the randonee set up was a bit of a disappointment...I felt like a slug skinning. The boots, skis and bindings are way heavier than my rebounds and double alicos. The dynafit boot/binding compared to three pin leathers and waxless rebounds is much rougher on the shins and places a lot of pressure on the dorsum (top of the foot) when climbing....not enough flex. Maybe a bellows rando boot (f1) would help? (I missed the comfort of leather) skins on and off, dynafiddle, But, EXCELLENT downhill performance and FAST!

That sounds like some amazing views, nice tr!  Welcome to TAY. :)

Reply to this TR

shirtless-in-the-olympic-inversion-sorry-no-pics
runcle
2009-01-16 21:15:59