Home > Trip Reports > Jan 14-15, 2009, Sasse Ridge

Jan 14-15, 2009, Sasse Ridge

1/14/09
Posted by Larry_R on 1/16/09 7:45am
Jane and I went up to our usual campsite on Sasse Ridge (3800') Wednesday - Thursday this week. A very easy trip in on hard snow, with sunshine too . The temperature inversion was in full force, with the afternoon high at the camp being 52 degrees.  The first pic shows the view from our site.

The stars were out that evening and we saw all our old friends, some of whose names I seem to forget. I guess these were not real close friends. Not the kind I invite for dinner.  :)

There was a quite nice freeze overnight so Jane and I started up the hill at 6am. I just love skiing in the dark. I tossed in the second picture to show my method of storing the skis overnight in the spring. In the middle of winter when it's snowing hard I just let them get buried. All I have to do is remember where they are the next morning.

The third picture shows the Cascade Crest at dawn.  Yup, it's still there, just like last year.  We went up to about 5500 feet, finding breakable crust here and there (mostly here). By staying in areas that received plenty of sun we managed to get a few turns worthy of the name. Better than last time we were out anyway.

By the way, here's a question for the TAY Dept. of Physics: what's the most efficient way to melt snow water with the following pre-conditions? The stove is running at a constant setting. You have one full pot of water on that is mostly melted water, but contains a modest amount of saturated snow that has been thoroughly stirred in. The water temperature should be 32 degrees. How should you continue to melt snow as quickly as possible? Years ago I would pour off almost all of this melted water, save for a bit to 'prime' the next batch of snow. I would often just add more snow, wait for it all to melt, and then add more. Although I have not timed this method, I think it's quite slow. With the rather vague feeling that it would be best to have as much snow as possible always exposed to the water, and that the best heat transfer from the flame to the water will occur when the temperature gradient between the two is maximized,  I now keep the pot mostly full, always with plenty of un-melted water in the mix, and stir it occasionally. Periodically I pour off maybe a third of a pot of water, and then add more snow. So what's the best way, theoretically, if convenience were not an issue?

Larry
There's the report I've been waiting for -- good stuff Larry.  Nice picture of the crest.  I haven't seen that for a while.

For what it's worth, I do the same thing you do re: water -- pouring off a third and keeping the pot as full of "snowy" water as possible.  We need to get Amar in here for the physics...

Thanks Marcus!

Yes, we need a consult from Amar. I wonder if he will suggest that there is no such thing as 'un-melted' water? I wonder if that's my problem?  :)

Larry

Reply to this TR

jan-14-15-2009-sasse-ridge
Larry_R
2009-01-16 15:45:47