Home > Trip Reports > 1/13/09: Jim Hill Death Crust: VIDEO!

1/13/09: Jim Hill Death Crust: VIDEO!

1/13/09
Posted by savegondor on 1/14/09 9:29am
Hoping for warm temperatures and possible corn, temperatures were below freezing with a 2cm very  hard crust over lower density powder.  This was true from about 3500 feet to 6000 feet.  Total snowpack depth was hard to asertain as most open areas had slid multiple times (we're talking 90% of open areas having evidense of recent avalanch activity and 50 % of treed areas above 25 degrees with wet snow slide activity).  There were large crowns as well evidence of wet snow slides some which ran from Summit down to the valley base, I guess around 2000 vertical feet.  Some of the wet snow debris included snow chunks 6-10 feet high and across.  Wet snow slides occured almost uniformly in the tree cover as well on anything over 25 degrees.  Snowpit tests confirmed multiple weaker bonds at 3 inches 7 inches 14 inches and even on the slush at ground level.  The bonds seem to be strengthening as compression test yeilded a 7 inch fracture only after pounding on the shovel several times (sorry I don't know the rating scale).  Rousche block failed at 7 inches on the second hop.  (the ice crust failed at first contact.

The skiing:  Try descending almost 3500 verts without turning.  There were no turns to be had and as such the skiing sucked.  The views were awesome, the weather forecast was wrong.  The inversion layer hadn't lowered enough to include Stevens Pass as of yesterday.  Though today i note telemetry shows 55 degree temps at 5000 feet. 

Modification: Pics show slide activity, the first and last on Jim Hill, the middle shows two slides on the N. Side of Stevens Pass highway.  full res at:
http://picasaweb.google.com/jaymehelgeson/121508Jimhill?feat=directlink

Modification 2: Video!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZLMYZAtN96Y

Wow, the description of those snow blocks and the crowns is sobering.  I've seen a few wet slides up there, and started one shallow slab slide last year, but I never worried too much about going up to Jim Hill but I'm going to think twice now.  Too bad you had the icy crust - and hope that's not your only experience of Jim Hill, cause when it's good, it's very good.

Saw old slide debris on Kendall peak yesterday - almost the whole south west ridge had slides on it.  That was some avalanche cycle last week. 

Kendall knob was almost hero corn yesterday, after it warmed up in the afternoon sun.  We had just the opposite experience than you did Tuesday, even the snow in the old growth soft and pretty fun to ski.

Looking forward to your pics and video, as always.  No pressure though.  ;D

some photos and goals:

Anyone skied Indian Head Peak?  Is this a picture of it???
Second picture is of the wet snow slide that ran all the way from the summit of Jim Hill about 2000 verts down.
Third pic: is this Jove Peak?

That looks like the upper slopes of Jove, though I don't remember that many trees/rocks on the top...  Were you looking north past Lichtenberg?

author=Marcus link=topic=11907.msg49806#msg49806 date=1232089485]
That looks like the upper slopes of Jove, though I don't remember that many trees/rocks on the top...  Were you looking north past Lichtenberg?

i dunno...it was north of the highway behind the first ridge.  it's also on the second pic at the top in the background behind the ridge.

author=Marcus link=topic=11907.msg49806#msg49806 date=1232089485]

According to the map it's "Rock Mountain"

author=savegondor link=topic=11907.msg49812#msg49812 date=1232091732]
According to the map it's "Rock Mountain"

Agreed, that looks like the upper portion of the west slope of Rock Mtn to me.

Have yet to ski it......

That makes more sense -- Jove's upper slopes are pretty smooth, though who knows what they look like after the weather we've had.  Rock looks like a fun ski!

Reply to this TR

1-13-09-jim-hill-death-crust-video
savegondor
2009-01-14 17:29:42