Home > Trip Reports > January 9/09-First Pump down Old Buck mtb trail

January 9/09-First Pump down Old Buck mtb trail

1/15/09
Posted by Mtraslin on 1/14/09 5:03am
With over thirty years of skiing on the north shore.It was amazing and unique to have an oppurtunity to ski from the first pump of Seymour than down the Seymour road to just past the 6 km point.From here it was sraight down the hiking,and mountain biking trails,corkscrew via mushroom than down old buck.Back in the eighties when I had feathered hair(hockey mullet)I thought my hair was normal because everyone on my Juniour hockey team had the same hair,even my uncle had this hair.But my friends had to remind me it was a hockey mullet{INOCENSE IS BLISS]I only bring this up because in the same era I worked as a ski instructor or twinkie and with my feathered hair I was able to ski from the parking lot.[TWINKIE because we had these bright yellow and blue suits and we thought we were all that because we were 14 and brought our skateboarding tricks to the ski lessons!

Ski touring to the first pump was challenging because of the avalanche hazard and the poor visibility! I minimized the risk by choosing safe terrain and skiing 10 to a max of 20 degree slopes.
Sometimes you have to be creative and have fun with what mother nature gives you even when she temps you!
But if you are creative you can still have fun and be safe out there.

These wild snow conditions have me thinking about those people who would ski/ hike up grouse,seymour,cypress from vancouver and it would be a full days outing just to get the turns.
Were things more simple than?
It must have been such a pure experience!Thanks to the guy who gave us a ride in his jeep!We made it to work on time!Thank You!
Sometimes the simple trips bring out the best in people!

Story Mike Traslin,photos Andy and Mike

Photos on this site:

http://www.clubtread.com/sforum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=29462
Good report and great pictures.
It is cool that you skied down the local grind.

When I started X-C skiing 25 years ago, two of my favourite places were Mt.Seymour and the Hollyburn area. I heard stories of mostly northern European immigrants that hiked all day from sea-level Vancouver to get one run down. I never thought that I might,someday, have similar aspirations as I seek my turns all year.

Two of the first peaks that I bagged on my skinny, skin-less skis were Seymour and Hollyburn. While I am usually lift skiing on the north shore now (as I did today at Cypress), I still enjoy the occasional bc outing when the conditions are reasonably safe.

Over the years I've also hiked many of the trails (some that have their origins with those early bc skiers) with my Scout Troop, my family and friends.

And while I've never had a true mullet, I did have a ponytail down my back in the early 90's.

Thanks for the history lesson telemon that is very cool,I love the fact people made it a day trip to get up the local mountains!

No offence to anyone but I think I tried the ponytail for a while back in the day!
I can thank Trevor Peterson for that one![legendary steep skier!

Reply to this TR

january-9-09-first-pump-down-old-buck-mtb-trail
Mtraslin
2009-01-14 13:03:25