Home > Trip Reports > January 11, Tumalo Butte, Central Oregon

January 11, Tumalo Butte, Central Oregon

1/15/09
OR elsewhere
Posted by hypermartyr on 1/12/09 10:59pm

Forecast called for Wet Pack in the cascades with warming temps.  Lower slopes of Tumalo echoed this prediction.  Trees were loaded with wet and heavy ice bombs, which were a constant issue on the climb to the top.  At the top, we checked the backside bowl... but did not look worth doing... another skier who has just run it said same.  No need to dig a pit... approximately 8inches of extremely wet heavy snow on a bullet proof crust.  Chance of sliding high on anything over 30 degrees.  No evidence of sliding seen on climb up or on backisde bowl.

Decided to ski the east facing ridge, then loop down the south facing face we climbed.  Skiing was much better than we expected... probably we hit the snow at the exact perfect melting point... was heavy, but control was possible.  Even the tree skiing below was enjoyable.

This area is threatened by development... so if anyone is interested in helping to save this pristine skiing location from being overrun by snowmobiles, please visit the link below and sign the petition!!!

http://www.winterwildlands.org/grassroots/tumalopetition.php

All photos can be seen here:  http://www.flickr.com/photos/22552896@N02/

Looks like fun! I'm coming down that way for the last week of January and want to tour Tumalo. Where do you park to start the tour? Any parking / access permits needed?

Thanks for any information - Russ

Dutchman Flat Sno-park is right at the base of Tumalo.  More info here as well as a decent map of the area:

http://www.fs.fed.us/r6/centraloregon/recreation/dayuse/dutchmantumalo.shtml

You need an Oregon Sno Park permit:

http://www.oregon.gov/ODOT/DMV/vehicle/sno_park_permits.shtml

It says you need to go to DMV... but most convenience stores and outdoor stores in the area have these.

Don't park without one... the ticket is hefty from what I hear.

It is a shared lot with the sledders, so there is quite a bit of parking issues... as well as sledders loading
and unloading.  So parking can be tricky... if you can, get there early for a good spot.

Nice work way to keep it safe!
Not much chance of hitting the steeps on the coast mountains either!

Live to ride anouther day!

Looks like a good time.  Good call on the bowl, that thing is the prime angle for a slide when the danger is high.  Thanks for the link to the winter wild lands site..........

Good job,
I always wanted to ski that. It appears to me that one could park at the ski area across the street and skin from the road.
That area I hear gets a lot of snowmachines.
It's no fun when they are ripping around while we are skiing, but I am not opposed to them having access as long as they stay in their designated areas.
We all gotta get along!

Yeah, one could easily park across the road (or up the road) and walk or skin to the Butte.

And I agree about the snowmachines.  The issue with Tumalo Butte is that is the only local access for a 'quick' morning or afternoon ski shot in the area... and possibly in Northwest Oregon for that matter.  All other routes are a significantly longer approach.  Now consider that skiers have to share 50% of the Butte with sledders.  Yet sledders have access to hundreds, if not thousands of acres with similar terrain in the same portion of NW Oregon... most within a short drive of the Tumalo Butte area.  Yet the Forest Service wants to INCREASE the amount of snowmobile access to this area.  So, no I am not opposed to the sledders having access and staying in designated areas... but what the Forest Service is proposing is to increase the amount of snowmobiles in an area that has always been a pristine backcountry ski (and snowshoe) area.

Thanks for the clarification.
Being a non-local I forgot that most the local access touring near Bend is a jaunt and quick, quiet tours are more difficult, especially on weekends.
Yes, there certainly is NOT a need to have more snowmachines in an already concentrated area.
I wish you the best of luck on the proposal to reduce the impact of the Tumalo location.
I always wanted to ski off of Paulina Peak, but the approach could be a long one also.

I was up there 2 years ago with buds from Utah and when we reached the summit a local flying solo told us that the bowl "never" slides. He proceeded to drop in, as we watched, and the whole thing went. Good call live to fight another day.

Reply to this TR

january-11-tumalo-butte-central-oregon
hypermartyr
2009-01-13 06:59:44