Home > Trip Reports > January 11, 2009, East Peak, Crystal

January 11, 2009, East Peak, Crystal

1/11/09
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by snoseeker on 1/12/09 1:26pm
Ron, Jeanette, Darryl, Kit and I headed up to Crystal figuring we would be rained out. Surprisingly, we left the rain shortly after Greenwater and even had some sunbreaks skinning up through the old ski runs and on to East Peak. There was 4-5 inches of very heavy new on top of the rain crust, but it was well consolidated below the new. The wind was fierce and we had to physically restrain Mad Dog from going to the top, but finally talked sense into her. Tough skiing, but fun to be out. Thanks, Kit, for the pics.
Yet another day of great skiing.  The wind helped me stay upright.

What happened to the pictures of Bonnie and Kit?

Nice that you got out. I skied the lifts that day so you guys are much tougher than me.

When Mad_Dog gets " summit fever" there's no holding her back!

Nice, glad you guys got up there!  From the pics and tr it sounds like it was a good day to be out.

author=Scotsman link=topic=11879.msg49575#msg49575 date=1231869591]
When Mad_Dog gets " summit fever" there's no holding her back!
  ;D That's very funny!!

It was a good day, skiing was interesting, and staying upright from the wind was another challenge but all in all when we got back to the groomed road everyone took off for the cars like there was a "blue light" special happening  ;).

You animals! I was out the day before skied Northway to the road and there was a lot of balancing act going on.

author=Mad_Dog link=topic=11879.msg49644#msg49644 date=1231951668]
  everyone took off for the cars like there was a "blue light" special happening  ;).

Speaking of that...There is a new Law Enforcement officer, not State Patrol that has been ticketing people like crazy on the Crystal Access road. Speed limit is 35 from highway 410. He was really hitting people by the dozens as you get to Crystal area and it drops to 20MPH.
Beware!

author=Joedabaker link=topic=11879.msg49649#msg49649 date=1231953236]
There is a new Law Enforcement officer, not State Patrol that has been ticketing people like crazy on the Crystal Access road. Speed limit is 35 from highway 410. He was really hitting people by the dozens as you get to Crystal area and it drops to 20MPH.
Beware!

He's a FS cop and he got me last year on my 50th birthday and was a complete a_s_o_e. It was a beautiful spring powder day and I had pulled my three boys out of school to ski. We'd had a really wonderful day. They were begging him not to write me a ticket because it was my birthday and he laughed at them. Literally.

I went to federal court (because it was issued by the FS) to get it reduced. My arraignment was in the same court time as some big time coke dealers from another country south of us and some guys who ran a pot growing operation out of a half-dozen houses in the south end. Some reasonably scary dudes.

Needless to say the federal prosecutor was NOT pleased that this pouffda was wasting her time with speeding tickets against dozens of otherwise law abiding skiers when there was obviously more important prosecutorial work on her desk. She all but told me in plain language that she wished he weren't on this crusade and would stop wasting her time. I left with something like a 10$ fine (reduced from some ridiculous number like $250), a clean record and a wink and a smile.

Seriously, don't they have something better to do?

Reply to this TR

january-11-2009-east-peak-crystal
snoseeker
2009-01-12 21:26:08