Home > Forum > Going to Lake Tahoe- recommendations, touring ?

Going to Lake Tahoe- recommendations, touring ?

• skierlyles
  • [skierlyles]
More
12 Jan 2009 20:27 #185237 by skierlyles
Anybody have any good ideas for slackcountry, backcountry, or leanings towards particular resorts/ areas in Tahoe? Going during the President's day weekend, so no doubt it will be busy and I will crave fresh turns...

I would also love to hook up with any of you locals that like showing fellow TAY'ers around! Going to be available to ski sat, sun, mon, tues (Feb 14- 17). Will be in SE lake tahoe but will travel if necessary.

Chris

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 Jan 2009 21:03 - 13 Jan 2009 18:25 #185240 by JimH
Modified today because I didn't read your message very carefully last night. Sorry!

One great place to start is here . Check out the Message Board and Free Guidebook links to get an idea of what's up and where folks often go.

If you're in SE, then I'd suggest Red Lakes Peak or Stevens Peak for sunny days and spring snow (which can happen any time of the year with a few days of sun). If its nuking, then check out Waterhouse Peak. Its got a good, moderately steep N face in big wide timber that holds the pow. I think its good for like 1400/lap. If conditions are wintry and stable, and you want a long adventure, then do part or all of the Dick's Peak tour. All of these tours are on the website above.

PM me if you want more info. Happy to help.

More
12 Jan 2009 21:06 #185241 by Zap
Chris,

Post on this thread at Telemarktips:
www.telemarktalk.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php...2f06d585b7061c0e330e

Also, Kam now lives near Reno.

• crystal_mt_dreamin
  • [crystal_mt_dreamin]
More
13 Jan 2009 12:38 #185251 by crystal_mt_dreamin
Replied by crystal_mt_dreamin on topic Re: Going to Lake Tahoe- recommendations, touring ?
For some easy touring with lots of options check the Desolation Wilderness area. Re: resorts on that weekend, I'd stay faaaar far away from them.

• brownc9
  • [brownc9]
More
13 Jan 2009 13:28 #185253 by brownc9
We usually ski at homewood on the weekends to avoid the crowds. It'd be a hoof for you from the SE of the lake. I don't know that end of the lake to get away from crowds. Whenever we go that far down there we go to Kirkwood. They probably get big crowds on the weekends.

• skierlyles
  • [skierlyles]
More
13 Jan 2009 21:18 #185263 by skierlyles

Chris,

Post on this thread at Telemarktips:
www.telemarktalk.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php...2f06d585b7061c0e330e

Also, Kam now lives near Reno.

Thanks much. I don't usually check out TT but will now. Let's hope the snow starts to pile up here and there, soon!

To the others- thanks for the great suggestions. The website was pretty cool too, nice links to topo maps with graphics illuminating the better ski routes.

Chris

More
13 Jan 2009 21:21 #185264 by Scottk
We went there last week at Spring Break.  Here's my report: www.turns-all-year.com/skiing_snowboardi...10.msg39059#msg39059

I recommend George Hurchalla's book, Backcountry Snowboarding and Skiing in the Northern Sierra.

• Nate Frederickson
  • [natefred]
More
14 Jan 2009 13:41 #185310 by Nate Frederickson
Replied by Nate Frederickson on topic Re: Going to Lake Tahoe- recommendations, touring ?
Kirkwood is my favorite Tahoe area by far, it's worth the drive from S.Lake.  It has great slack(and not so slack)country options.  Although it sees less traffic than some other Tahoe resorts, it will be crowded on President's weekend, but so will everyplace else.  If you like steeps and great terrain, it will be worth your while to visit.  Near Kirkwood there is touring from Carsons Pass, I think you'll find a trip report or two on this site.
Tallac is at the SW end of the lake and has easy access from S.Lake Tahoe. If the road past Emerald Bay is a go, there's plenty of touring along the west side of the lake all the way to Donner Pass.  Great touring at the NE end of the lake too.
You can usually find something good within an hour drive to suit the day's temps and conditions.  You won't get bored over the weekend.

• Kneel Turner
  • [Kneel Turner]
More
14 Jan 2009 21:40 #185330 by Kneel Turner
Replied by Kneel Turner on topic Re: Going to Lake Tahoe- recommendations, touring ?
For convenient BC Yo-Yo-ing from South (east) Lake, I had a great time at Waterhouse. Should be easy to find info. I was told about it when I went in to the local (off the strip) ski shop asking. Any questions give me a call. Have fun.