Home > Trip Reports > January 11, 2009, Snoqualmie Pass

January 11, 2009, Snoqualmie Pass

1/11/09
WA Snoqualmie Pass
Posted by Charlie Hagedorn on 1/11/09 8:57am
Toured up the Kendall driveway from Gold Creek to ~4200+. Turned 'round when it was clear that I wasn't avy happy with the snow and I was developing symptoms of a wide-ranging agenda for the day.  Lots of snowshoers and XC skiers enjoying the day.

Snow above ~4k consisted of schmoo atop a thick 1F to pencil crust, with ~4F wet below. Bond between new and old was surprisingly good. Only below ~3.5k could I scrape to the crust. Channels and runnels clearly visible, but things were so soft and wet that they didn't muck up the skiing in the slightest.

Of note was a small climax slide near the red "3" in the USGS quad. ~25' wide by 50-60' long, with debris covering the road. Ripped out trees to 8" complete with root balls. The slide occurred in or manufactured a tiny gully.  I was impressed to see such a small area fail to the ground.
that's not a friendly picture!  Hopefully, in the near future it'll cool down to about 30 and the saturated rain layers will freeze.

at least the turns were nice at stevens on saturday!

Thanks for the post.  How did you access Gold Creek?

Be interesting to compile photos of pass slides that affect tour routes.  Chair peak yesterday was a no go also.  Picture from source lake, still a lake.

Reply to this TR

january-11-2009-snoqualmie-pass
Charlie Hagedorn
2009-01-11 16:57:09