Home > Trip Reports > Jan 10, 2008, Castle Peak, Corn in January??

Jan 10, 2008, Castle Peak, Corn in January??

1/10/08
Posted by tahoefreeride on 1/10/09 8:16am
Well the amazing snow we had right before Christmas has now started to retreat due to warming temps, but that doesn't mean there isn't any skiing to be had. With the past week being warm and sunny during the day and cold at night we decided to take a chance on there being some corn snow. I know, corn?? in January?? Castle Peak is near Donner Summit and has a south/southeast facing slope below the summit. Although the hike is not vary hard, we did have to use some rock scrambling skills to get to the drop in point. When we got there about 11:30 the snow was looking good and ready. A nice firm layer under a couple inches of soft corn made for fun turns. I couldn't convince any of my friends to go for another lap, so I went it alone and the second run was even better!! If I can't ski powder I'll take some corn snow any day.
Back in our last drought season here in the NW (was it '06?), a buddy and I took a mid January road trip to California (which had been getting all the snow).  High pressure followed us all the way down, and we had two weeks of blue skies and a mix of hardpack and corn skiing.  We stopped by Castle and skied what I'm assuming is the same line - wide gulley you can get into by downscrambling from the ridge,  it was corn all the way!  thanks for the memory jog!
Cheers,
Nate

Reply to this TR

jan-10-2008-castle-peak-corn-in-january
tahoefreeride
2009-01-10 16:16:05