Home > Trip Reports > East Peak 1/9/08

East Peak 1/9/08

1/15/09
Posted by Joedabaker on 1/10/09 12:56am
Team Wally is not the only one who is locked in heaven.
Like Mastercard, locals have their privileges.
We hoped that others had already done the trail breaking, but not so, we had to forge our own trail on what is typically the superhighway to the side-country.
Variable snow pack conditions from 4-8 inches of cold denser new on top of a soaked, supportive crust layer, on top of a deep 135cm homogeneous snowpack.
On the Cement basin side deep cross wind loaded eastern slopes were not that inviting, but a hundred yards away, SE gentler slopes skied good on 6-8 inches of stable denser powder with little to no wind effect. The South face ski out had variable skiing, powder on a crust layer on what I call "Pitchy Powder" Defined as: There is resistance in the turn and then the skis would release and jet on you. Good training on how to maintain balance, form and technique.
Nice peaceful clear day, the low fog slid in fast at about 1pm, but was not a problem as it was clear on the summits and Eastern slopes.

As Team Wally would say, "That is All!"
Good stuff Joe -- we'll be heading down your way pretty soon here...

author=Marcus link=topic=11842.msg49393#msg49393 date=1231606834]
Good stuff Joe -- we'll be heading down your way pretty soon here...

Looking forward to seeing you here!

Nice work
I would be out touring but all my gear is up at Crystal and it is driving me crazy.

The middle picture is a lovely depiction of my church of choice.
Thanks for the TR.
Only got four more days 'til it's time to throw a Castaway party.

Joeda, nice bro!  That's some sweet photo taking!  Thanks for conditions...I'm about to pay for a heli drop about now...they just won't do it from the west side. ;)  We'll see you up there.

I love the cross photo Joe. Lovely composition.
I am pleased that you are getting the goods but very disturbed that I am not!

Reply to this TR

east-peak-1-9-08
Joedabaker
2009-01-10 08:56:59