Home > Trip Reports > jan92009,Hurricane Ridge, Sunrise avy's

jan92009,Hurricane Ridge, Sunrise avy's

1/15/09
WA Olympics
Posted by haydenslides on 1/9/09 8:07am
made it up to the ridge today.  noticed some decent sized slides on sunrise ridge.  looked to be caused by falling cornices.  got in about 3 runs.  after the third, looking  up we noticed a new slide.  got the scoop from another rider- a snowboarder had biffed it and was sitting on the hill when a 1ft deep, 6 feet wide slab let loose and bowled him over.  he was all right, no damage done, but is was a sobering moment.  got in one more run away from the cornices and super  steep sections.  interesting timing, as we are going to an avy clinic tonite put on by the park.  none of us have ever seen any slides on this slope before.  i'm starting to bone up on my avy savvy and am getting a beacon!
A beacon is probably a definite good idea.  Glad everyone was okay.

Thanks for the heads up Hayden-
I am thinking of headed out that way tomorrow but having a hard time judging conditions.  What can you tell us of the coverage and snow quality?

author=haydenslides link=topic=11838.msg49351#msg49351 date=1231546075]
...none of us have ever seen any slides on this slope before. 

If that's the east side of 'Sunrise' you're talking about, I saw slides there several times during the 18 years I worked at Olympic.  That's probably why there are no or few trees.    ;)   The really amazing thing is that the park used to have their kiddie tubing area right above the road there!   ???  Hopefully that's no longer true?

That slope gets loaded and then warms.

i'm headed up there again today... friday there was some major settlement.  snow levels had dropped like a foot.  major windloading at the top of sunrise ridge.  we dug a pit and about 10 inches down was a very crusty layer.  we were having troubles with burying the nose and going over the bars when it went under the crusty layer.  (sorry for the lack of technical terms) 
and yes, the sunrise sledding area is still at the bottom of that slope above the road!
i'll post another tr when i get done...
cheers

Reply to this TR

jan92009-hurricane-ridge-sunrise-avy-s
haydenslides
2009-01-09 16:07:55