Home > Forum > Steens Mtns - SE Oregon

Steens Mtns - SE Oregon

• spajr
  • [spajr]
More
14 Jan 2004 14:20 #168789 by spajr
Steens Mtns - SE Oregon was created by spajr
Has anyone done any backcountry skiing in the Steens Mtns?<br><br>Any information would be great.<br><br>Thanks!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
22 Jan 2004 16:39 - 22 Jan 2004 16:39 #168808 by Schmear
Replied by Schmear on topic Re: Steens Mtns - SE Oregon
Did a little research on the area late last summer. (Great place, by the way! I've been there during the summer and would love to get back there and ski.) <br><br>There is a guide outfit that uses sleds and snowcats to access terrain, but its permit doesn't allow for much alpine access. Basically they can serve as a transport and drop-off/pick-up service. There is a lot of organized XC skiing, but downhill skiing is still something of a novelty (though not for lack of trying). Apparently the outfit even tried to get a permit for a heli-skiing a few years ago.<br><br>www.steensmountain.com/winterrecreation.htm

• Chuck_Gustafson
  • [Chuck_Gustafson]
More
23 Jan 2004 08:37 #168816 by Chuck_Gustafson
Replied by Chuck_Gustafson on topic Re: Steens Mtns - SE Oregon
SPAJR:<br><br> Yes, I led a Mountaineer si trip to the summit in '96. Great trip and easy skiing. However, in poor visibility it could be veryyyyyyyyy dangerous. Need a permit from the BLM which keeps the snowmobiles away. If you're interested I can give you more info.<br><br>

More
23 Feb 2004 16:02 #168948 by sb
Replied by sb on topic Re: Steens Mtns - SE Oregon
I've done several trips there. It's easiest to get onto the mountain from the east. Wildhorse canyon would be good but when we asked, the ranch involved wouldn't let us go through. There is an old mining road going up to Mexican Hat Pass (I think) which gives pretty straightforward access to upper Wildhorse Canyon. Farther to the north it's possible to access the ridgeline directly. It's spectacular -surprisingly Alpine in feel, very rugged, with very good ski terrain for a 4 or 5,000 foot drop. You probably will still have to ask local ranchers for permission to use a road, and probably they will be happy to oblige. There is not a lot of idle tourist traffic out there and I think they mostly will welcome visitors.<br><br>One of the best parts of a trip there is Alvord Hot Springs and the Alvord Desert. If it's snow covered (unlikely) you could x-c ski for miles out into the playa.<br>