Home > Forum > Sore/Swollen Chin Bones - any beta ?

Sore/Swollen Chin Bones - any beta ?

• matthaeus
  • [matthaeus]
More
12 Jan 2004 06:26 - 12 Jan 2004 06:28 #168777 by matthaeus
Sore/Swollen Chin Bones - any beta ? was created by matthaeus
Has anyone some beta how to prevent sore chin bones ? My girlfriend got badly swollen chin bones after two days of touring. Right now we are thinking this might be caused by her boots. So a new pair hopefully solves the problem. But in other high boots like hiking and mountaineering boots she had no problems at all. If somebody of you had a similar problem, please let me know how you solved it. <br>          Matthaeus

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 Jan 2004 07:07 #168778 by nickc
Replied by nickc on topic Re: Sore/Swollen Chin Bones - any beta ?
I've had swollen chin bones from face planting on hard pack.(sorry)<br>Swollen shin bones might be fixed by thermo fit liners or take your girlfriend and her boots to a boot fitter and see what they say. Nice new ski socks with the pad in the front of the shin help too. I got my first pair of thermofit boots this year and continue to be amazed at the comfort.

More
12 Jan 2004 09:57 #168779 by Zap
A good boot fitter should solve the problem. I highly recommend Jim Mates at 206-297-9298. He's off Phinney Ridge in Seattle. Jim's been in the business a long time and does not sell boots. He just fixes what others sell.<br><br>Zap

• Andrew Carey
  • [acarey]
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
More
12 Jan 2004 10:15 #168780 by Andrew Carey
Replied by Andrew Carey on topic Re: Sore/Swollen Chin Bones - any beta ?
I ended up with sore ankles the other day because I had the lower boot buckle too tight--she might experiment with buckle and/or power strap tightness. On my black t-3 2-buckle tele boots I like the straps just firm enough to hold. On my 3-buckle t-2 I completely loosen all straps unless the terrain is very steep and then I tighten the forefoot strap just a bit.

More
12 Jan 2004 12:02 - 15 Jan 2004 10:33 #168781 by BrentH
Replied by BrentH on topic Re: Sore/Swollen Chin Bones - any beta ?
Chin bones? You had me intrigued for a moment. I think you mean 'shin' bones. Anyways, I second Zap's recommendation.

• Jim Oker
  • [jim_oker]
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
More
12 Jan 2004 12:16 #168782 by Jim Oker
Replied by Jim Oker on topic Re: Sore/Swollen Chin Bones - any beta ?
Dumb question - does she have lace-up liners or foldover style? If the latter, it's possible to get the wrong half across your shin and end up kind of sore (I fortunately realized my mistake quickly enough to avoid serious pain and pay more attention now...).

More
30 Jan 2004 02:42 #168837 by gregL
Replied by gregL on topic Re: Sore/Swollen Chin Bones - any beta ?
I third the recommendation of Jim Mates - he did a great job of making my Garmont shells conform to the bulge of scar tissue from my Achilles repair last year. Also the thermo liners are well worth a try; I had recurring problems with shin pain years ago in my Nordica alpine boots, which was only partially alleviated by an additional layer of neoprene on the inner surface of the tongue. The problem went away when I switched to Thermoform liners (Garmont GSM G-Fit first, now G-Ride G-Fit). I wear the AT boots all the time now, even for lift skiing. It's mostly a question of even distribution of pressure, as was mentioned she might also try different combinations of tightness for power strap/buckles (or undo everything in touring mode). Good luck!