Home > Forum > GPS maps for Mac and Garmin

GPS maps for Mac and Garmin

• Don_B
  • [Don_B]
More
04 Jan 2009 21:33 #184908 by Don_B
GPS maps for Mac and Garmin was created by Don_B
For Christmas, a sister gave me an emergency bivysack and my wife gave me a GPS receiver. Seems to be a theme there. But I am having trouble getting to a nice combination of Mac-usable maps for the Garmin GPSMap60CSx to take advantage of the nice receiver screen and to transfer waypoints and route tracks back and forth.
Garmin now says their 1:100,000 Topo US is good for Window and Mac OS 10.4 or later. After I discovered by calling REI that the disk that came with the unit was an old one for PC only, and traded it at REI for the Mac + PC version, and upgraded my Mac's operating system to 10.5, and took it to the Mac Store to recover my wife's email and add RAM so it works almost as well as it used to, the Garmin TOPO US disk will still only load the superquad of Dayville, OR (West) to the receiver, using the latest utilities downloaded from Garmin. Not so great for my intended trips. And it doesn't successfully load to the Mac hard drive at all. Email from Garmin says this is a "known issue" with Mac OS 10.5.6 -- why they can't just tell customers that on the website before we spend hours of fooling around is beyond me -- and they are "working on it". I am tempted to return this, get NG Topo for the Mac and get Garmin's 1:24,000 SD card for WA & OR for the unit, and make that work. Anyone else having similar issues? Solutions or work-arounds, other than use a Windows machine?

In 11/07 there was a good thead on GPS units, but it was before some of the Mac mapping software was available.
www.turns-all-year.com/skiing_snowboardi...dex.php?topic=8283.0

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
04 Jan 2009 22:32 #184913 by jcocci
Replied by jcocci on topic Re: GPS maps for Mac and Garmin
I am on a Mac with latest OS (10.5.6) and I have NG TOPO for Washington State (4.5.0) installed with the map discs installed to my hard drive and have no problems loading waypoints, etc to my Garmin GPS. You cannot however load maps from the NG topt software. From the best of my knowledge you can only load maps to your Garmin GPS with Garmin Software. I also have Garmin USA TOPO 2008 installed (however its a PC version) that I use to load maps to my GPS. I believer they do make a Mac version now though, but I haven't bought it as I already paid for the PC version.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.