Home > Trip Reports > January 4, Yodlin

January 4, Yodlin

1/15/09
WA Stevens Pass
Posted by jdclimber on 1/4/09 10:31am
Yodlin skied well. 3 runs, not a huge number of other skiers.
There was a burn on the top of the hill, not much burned but still sort of odd, anyone have the story.
In addition to the worry of snowshoers, dogs and bigfoot in the skintrack, we evidently also need to fear killer trees.
Stability was better than expected in the opening a few hundred feet below the saddle on the north side, please see attached. Pit observations at 1210, not at 550, I have not figured out how to change in Snowpilot.
More photos to follow
We must have seen you guys in the parking lot. Not a lot of people at Yodelin today.

Yeah, that killer tree was a little weird. Did it start the fire at the top or is it wanted for a murder?

The Snow was stable and deep. Better than expected.

Visibility went in and out, but we had a nice view of the peak across the highway.

Overall, one of the best days at Yodelin.

author=danengel link=topic=11770.msg48930#msg48930 date=1231130888]
Overall, one of the best days at Yodelin.

Dan, did you find your camera up there? ;)

author=Rusty Knees link=topic=11770.msg48944#msg48944 date=1231137682]
Dan, did you find your camera up there? ;)

Ha! Thanks for reminding me Don!!! My buddy Chris reminded me many times yesterday too! His theory for how the small fire at the top got started included my lost camera and a very strong ray of sunshine.  ::) ::)

I  thought that was you we bumped into in the parking lot JD.  I was surprised also at the low "folks" count, but no complaints, we saw but 10 people and one canine all day!  Thanks is due to whom ever set the nice up-track!  Great pit profile, we found similar results way out the ridge to the east.

I wondered if you guys were TAY folks, didn't want to ask because, well, that could be a bit nerdy. If I'd known it was you I would have hit you for discount tires  ;D
Nice day up there. Yodlin remains one of my favorites. I even kind of like the new Cajun topping.

Justin....I knew that was you on the back nine.....you beat Jen and I to the goods ... funny we didn't see you  or you Dan.  thanks for the uptrack!  Great day  8) .... Jerry

Apparently the FS or whom ever manages the forest up yonder marks the "killer trees" as those trees who have snags, or week root structures after a burn event.  Good to know...

There was a lightning strike last summer up on top of Yodelin which caused the "killer tree" outbreak.  Helicopters doused it pretty quickly.

Thanks for the beta Andy, I do like JD's cajun topping comment.  Yoda's Cajun forest ( a Blue Square) is still a bit twiggy however...

It was a great day up there.  I too always have good days at Yodelin.  Thanks for the skin track.  It probably gave us another run. 

I was wondering about the Cajun forest also.  So I know the criteria for a killer tree.  Does this mean they are in danger of falling on me when I lean against it to eat my peanut butter and banana sandwich?

Reply to this TR

january-4-yodlin
jdclimber
2009-01-04 18:31:44