Home > Trip Reports > January 10, 2004, Mt Rainier/Paradise

January 10, 2004, Mt Rainier/Paradise

1/10/04
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by snoslut on 1/11/04 4:26pm
With my patience for crowds at zero I decided to see what the big R had to offer.  I drove thru the Longmire gate around 9 ish and was hiking by 9:30.  As I pulled into the parking lot I was greated with the sun and partial clouds.  This is after the ranger at entrance said it was raining at Paradise.

As I started my hike it was evident that the rain had hit sometime the night before.  There was rain crust but it had already started to soften up.  Even with snowshoes I was sinking up to my thighs so I had to pad steps in and only sank to my knees.  Temps were warm enough to hike in just a wick layer.  I ended up breaking trail for a while until a group of at least 12 snowshoe-ers caught up.  By that time I had been passed by 4 skiers or free-heelers?  I got to get a split soon.  Anyways I let the big group pass and walked on their highway to the top of Pan Pt.  Just from what I could see the chutes off of Pan looked stable.  Only a few debris from the days before but nothing recent.

Once at the top the snow turned into the usual wind crust with wind blown pockets scattered about.  But hey the sun was out so it would soften up right?  Wrong.  As I reached McClure Rock around noon maybe noon thirty some clouds rolled thru, winds started, and temp started to fall.  That's when I decided to head down.  Looked like the conditions were not going to get better.  (I am wondering what conditions were like higher for those skiers ahead of me.)  Anyways the conditions made the ride a little tricky but nothing too hairy.  I must say the turns down Pan Pt. in low visiblitiy and flat light made it interesting.  Felt like the usual PNW snow.  Was like carving in butter.  The chute was stable for me but I was the first one down.  What's funny is that as I got back to the car the clouds went away but the sun stayed hidden.

Oh I forgot to mention when things cleared up it seemed like everything below 5000 ft. and steeper than 30 degrees (didn't matter what aspect) was avalanching naturally.

Still an awesome day.  My other skier friends went to Crystal Mt. and regreted it.  So much that they decided to snowboard ;D.  They should have brought their sword and sheild to fight off all the weekend warriors.
Might have been one that passed you or met you on top; had 3 following, 2 slow.  So we skied down below McClure to Golden Gate. While waiting for others, I did a ski cut then a pit at the top of Golden Gate slope. Not good. Shovel shear -> spring loaded pop out at 8-10 inches on either buried hoar or recrystalized snow (had my shovel but not my avy kit etc); the same layer gave with 3 wrist taps on a compression then a much deeper layer down to a sun/rain? crust about 1/4 inch thick with the 3rd tap from the elbow.  Definitely a yellow light.  So I instructed the group to make their own decisions about coming down but if they did ski, ski the mildest slopes to skiers right, not the 30+ to skier's left (the ones I usually ski cuz they conserve powder).  I took the 1st run down thru a really fun breakable ("zip") crust, followed by Regine, then by our two friends; I don't think that mild slope was more than 20-25 degrees anywhere but I was still a little worried with all the subsequent falls and the warming temps.  As we got further down the snow started getting really soft under a forming ice crust. Headed straight out as it was getting late.

I was with the group of 4 (3 AT, 1 Tele) you mentioned ahead. We found some fairly nice stuff from 9100 down to about 7500 so did it again. Quite challenging below Pebble. Very careful going up Pan via the tree ridge. Everyone then seemed to follow our path. A beautiful day to be on the snowfied.
Yes Mr. Slut, you MUST get a split. Shoes are the lamest since it is of course illegal to shoe up a skin track. Stop carrying your tools.

acarey: I stopped for a moment and spoke to a gentlemen with a beard.  Told him about conditions and he knodded and continued on.  Right after him was a female who had suggested that they wait until their companions caught up.  This was just above Pan Pt. to where Pebble Creek comes into view (but clouds socked it in) Could that have been your party?  

I am suprised anyone opted for the slopes off of Golden Gate into Edith Creek.  It looked really nice but sketchy with all the new snow, recent snow pack, and warming temps.  I was even doubting if the westerly facing chutes off of Pan would hold.  I failed to mention in my trip report that I did some wide turns (board cut) on top to see if anything would fall.  When nothing did I didn't waste anytime going down.  Must have been at the right place and time.

nickd: Was not my choice to ruin your skin track.  If you recall I was breaking my own trail until your party and the flock passed me.  I do recall someone asking which way to go and someone saying follow the skin tracks.  I am familiar with bc etiquette if there is such a thing.  Anyway they were a bunch of novices at best.  You could tell when they decided to ascend Pan Pt. one right after the other with no room.  Once again not my party and not my choice.  As far as snowshoes being lame I guess everyone has their own opinion.  Just like my opinion about skies vs board in fresh snow/powder.  And yes nickd I am in the process of doing more research on a split. ;)

That was me (with the beard)--Andy Carey, and my wife Regine.  We went to GG cuz it offers several options--ski the gate or continue on to Mazama.  If you ski the gate you can choose router to the left of the slightly treed ridge or the the right into Edith Basin.  The left is more sluff prone.  If you go right you can choose the skier's left more steep section if stable or skier's right less steep if only moderately stable.  IMHO, the biggest dangers here are wet slides let in the day.  There was some snow wheels from the trees, but no sluffing when I got there.  I noticed a Tacoma group sking the western edge of Edith Basin, and they were also being careful to avoid the steepest section of that.  But the 4 snowshoeing glissaders who jumped off the cornices below Pan Pt and also off the cornices into Edith Creek cut to the east of GG had no fear!!! BTW, I wouldn't have skied Pan face that day  ;) ;D

Nick D--thanks for the up track; just a little steep in one turn, but it was the easiest quickest up I ever had for pan pt.!  ;D

Acarey the route you mentioned above is not always boarder friendly especially getting out.  That's why I ride with my ski buds when going that route.  When I am solo I just stick to the things I am comfortable with.   But like you said there is a safe way down just in case.  I wish I could have seen those people you mentioned doing those questionable things.  I guess it all comes down to comfort level in that terrain and maybe more balls than brains.

Mr S--I meant no negative toward you for using track since this is not a yoyo track and you used the shoer's track anyway. Sort of kidding. Go to Couloir's chat room. Lots of folks chiming about split's there. The approach ski thing allows you to follow skiers but then you still always have to carry something. Voile kit seems to be the standard. Open up the bank account. Amortize it toward lift fees.

I guess I'm one of the old timers - snowshoes have been working for me for 15 years in the BC and never a complaint on usage.  To play devils advocate to all who want to go BC with their snowboards - don't worry about the hype - the ski insdurty always wants you to buy something new!  

If you want to go skiing, go skiing, but don't think you need to act like a skier to enjoy the BC on your snowboard!  Buy the right snowshoe and you'll have them for life, buy a splitboard and you're into $1000 in upgrades on equipment.

But, like all, that's just my opinion.  

Hey nickd it's all good.  But I can recall countless accounts of skiers grumbling because someone has either destroyed their highway or cut across it.  After being yelled at and many stink eyes I make it a point to stay off.  BC etiquette.  Is there a book on this yet.  If not it's long over due.

About the split board the Voile set up is ideal for the randonee / hard boot.  So that would require me to get use to a hard boot and new binding system.  So far the Burton split is designed for the soft boot and heel back bindings but has alot of parts.  Decisions decisions.

snowslut you are mistaken my friend. I have a couple burton splits, and a couple voile splits. Both  are compatible with both traditional strap bindings and plate bindings. The burton system is heavier and the binding plate is fragile at best.However it does have a more solid conection of the two skis when working properly. the voile on the other hand is much much lighterand has a  bombproof and simple connection system. It climbs and traverses better than the burton and the crampon system has 3 options for set up: fixed down, fixed to the bottom of foot or floating. the burtons only floats. If you will only use it in corn and good weather, are not concerned about weight, the burton is for you. It is much more expensive. If you enjoy the pow around here check into a board with the voile hardware. It transitions easier and does not clog or warp,this is good in foul weather. I've used the Voile and burton both for a few years now and in pow and corn you can't tell your on a split with either.  The only place the its noticable is on big landings on hardpack. I don't jump when conditions are like that and I won't take my split to the park(although I did to see if it would hold up like they advertised) check my home page fore all the currently available options in the US its link is  http://home.comcast.net/~stefan.giles   look under links and then under split board mfgrs. hope this helps.

Reply to this TR

january-10-2004-mt-rainier-paradise
snoslut
2004-01-12 00:26:38