Home > Forum > Crystal - Jan 2, 2008

Crystal - Jan 2, 2008

• AndyMartin
  • [AndyMartin]
More
02 Jan 2009 20:15 #214344 by AndyMartin
Crystal - Jan 2, 2008 was created by AndyMartin
Wow!
After skiing Crystal for 18 years this is one of the deepest days I've ever seen. Thigh deep is not much of an exaggeration over most of the mountain. Low temperatures and 14 inches overnight nixed any crust from the rain/snow mix yesterday.
Patrol did a great job getting terrain open, even chair 6 around 11.
Some of the best resort skiing I've ever had in Washington.
Should still be good until the rain on Tuesday.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
02 Jan 2009 20:31 #214345 by jcocci
Replied by jcocci on topic Re: Crystal - Jan 2, 2008

Wow!
After skiing Crystal for 18 years this is one of the deepest days I've ever seen. Thigh deep is not much of an exaggeration over most of the mountain. Low temperatures and 14 inches overnight nixed any crust from the rain/snow mix yesterday.
Patrol did a great job getting terrain open, even chair 6 around 11.
Some of the best resort skiing I've ever had in Washington.
Should still be good until the rain on Tuesday.

It sure was GOOD today.

• Scotsman
  • [Scotsman]
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
02 Jan 2009 20:36 #214346 by Scotsman
Replied by Scotsman on topic Re: Crystal - Jan 2, 2008
I agree, I have had face shots before but never the fabled white room. Today I got the white room. Deepest day I've ever had at Crystal. Northback opened at about 2.00pm but snow was more wind affected than the east facing slopes.

My son Stewie, set off a slide that run about 50-75 ft with a 1' crown on a steep rollover on RA Trees above the cat track. Proper slab, not a sluff. East Facing, probably 35 deg, guess 5500 ft elev.
Took him for a ride and buried him to his waist standing up, minus one ski. Joedabaker, Carol and I where close and no harm done. We where all wearing beacons and Stewie had Avalung deployed ready for use. Didn't slow him down for the rest of the day.

He was skiing Megawatts, 125 mm waist and I have a developing theory that wide skis produce such a large ski cut in a very forceful turn that they may be more liable to create a slide than narrow skis. Just a theory based upon my personal experiences lately,probably wrong!

What with tree well submersion last week and a nice 1.5 ride the" fruit of my loins"is getting an education.

• Ritalin Kid
  • [Ritalin Kid]
More
02 Jan 2009 22:10 #214348 by Ritalin Kid
Replied by Ritalin Kid on topic Re: Crystal - Jan 2, 2008
I echo the stoke on today!

My first three runs down the frontside were so good.

I only wish I was on bigger skis, the tips on my 189 Seth's were regularly gasping for air... I usually can keep them swimming head high, but not today.

Right Angle was going off probably the best I've ever skied it.

I hit chair 6 about thirty mins after it opened, which was 30 mins to late. The line was super long and the face was riped to shreds with a few ski tracks and numerous sluff lines. A buddy of mine went for a ride in a slab that spooked him pretty good, after the first ride he got hit by a second slide and ended up losing a ski, but was super happy to just be ok (I didnt witness the incident, but heard about it 3rd hand).

I had a couple runs in Northback which was ok, but nothing could top the frontside and right angle in the morning.

Please realize how unstable the snowpack is right now and be super safe.

More
02 Jan 2009 22:26 #214349 by Cornfed
Replied by Cornfed on topic Re: Crystal - Jan 2, 2008
Even after being unlucky enough to be barely caught behind the down tree on 410 we got over the head shots off High Campbell and Northback. Echo the efforts of Crystal Mountain (who often take some heat) at getting these areas open for those of us who missed the morning. Crystal was reporting 15 inches at the base overnight and 17-18" up top (over-night). Those are unbelievable totals; however, when looking at the cars parked overnight which were almost completely buried, we believed ;D Theih deep powder on our first run made it sink in. We didn't see any instability, but we missed the morning also. Snow will be amazing all weekend.

• Snow Bell
  • [Snow Bell]
More
02 Jan 2009 22:54 #214350 by Snow Bell
Replied by Snow Bell on topic Re: Crystal - Jan 2, 2008
;D

More
03 Jan 2009 06:55 - 03 Jan 2009 07:04 #214352 by rbtree
Replied by rbtree on topic Re: Crystal - Jan 2, 2008
Lucked out and got up to Crystal before the road closure. it was slow going on the very slick road. Missed the first 70 minutes of skiing untracked blower, due to leaving 20 minutes late, and the slow traffic.

But it was one of the best all time days at Crystal.....skiing on 98mm waist skis, was still getting constant face shots on a few aspects in thigh to chest deep snow, notably southern ones like Bull and the chair side of 6. Patrol had gotten some movement here and there, but all in all, felt reasonably stable considering the 24 new on top of manky rain affected stuff on top of more light stuff. about 24" of new by the time it quit snowing at the end of the day. Temps were in the single digits up top, which maintained the quality of the snow, which was fabulous.

Re the snow stability, I spoke with a friend (lifelong Crystal skier-his dad pioneered avalanche dog programs) who had been hosed on Hamburger Hill under the Throne---carried down a fair ways, tumbled, lost both skis and a pole, but was able to extricate himself. His partners didn't witness the fall, so might not have been able to help extricate him had he needed it. They were carrying avy gear.

Taking rest day today, may ski tomorrow and Monday..hoping the predicted warming is benign.

What an amazing turnaround to a dry, late start. Crystal has had about 182 inches of snowfall, most if not al in just three weeks!! that's dang close to a record month for them (Baker's is about 325....)

• jamesellis
  • [jamesellis]
More
03 Jan 2009 14:09 #214356 by jamesellis
Replied by jamesellis on topic Re: Crystal - Jan 2, 2008
Definitely some of the deepest, over-the-head, choking-on-snow, wish-i-had-my-snorkel powder I've seen at crystal. Towards the end of the day it started to set up and got really heavy and difficult to ski, and I wished I had some super fat rockered skis. I had some great runs early in the day off of Green Valley, REX, and Chair 6.

Was anyone else in line for Chair 6 when five different skiers set off five different slides below the throne? Nothing too big, but pretty spooky nonetheless.

• skierlyles
  • [skierlyles]
More
03 Jan 2009 17:13 #214357 by skierlyles
Replied by skierlyles on topic Re: Crystal - Jan 2, 2008
I would like to echo all the above... WOW! Faceshots and Whiteroom conditions most of the day.

Here is a video I shot of Snow Bell's buddy Jeff skiing a chute in Snorting Elk bowl after hiking above the green valley lift. Sorry no pics, could only be convinced to break out the camera just this once. Too much pow skiing to stop and take pics.

Chris

More
03 Jan 2009 18:30 - 03 Jan 2009 18:39 #214358 by rbtree
It was. in a way,  better than the day in 95 (I think it was) when it snowed 65" in 24 hrs, and 93" in 48 in 48 hrs.....of much lighter snow.....as....
That day, Bull, Exterminator, and Deer Fly were the only open runs steep enuf to get down. It was about 5 degrees, and snowing 3-6 an hour all morning, adding to the  36" new when  the hill opened. Young Keith R and Wayne G were waiting in line at REX. I told 'em it wouldn't open and followed some kids on their way to Bull....they were slow, so I ended up breaking trail much of the way, which took a good 30min in the ever deepening onslaught. Just as I got to the breakoverr, Gil Haines and Jim Bison blew by me, said thanks, a nd scored first tracks, the bums!  I was winded, and promptly fell over after a coupla turns. Came back around, and the boys were still in line. Of course it never opened, never came close...patrollers and Robert Bartsch, head cat driver told stories of skiing/driving down, being scared of being hosed off.
It was 2-3 days later before the top opened. By then it had warmed and changed to mank.

Best storm ever for me was Dec 5-7 1980......48-60" of fluff all over the hill....the first day was a Friday. Most of the time we were submerged to our chests or deeper. But it was so light, you could ski anything, as long as it was about Iceberg steepness. Saw a friend go under twice.....

...then there was the storm. in '82 that.....

More
03 Jan 2009 18:48 #214359 by rbtree

Here is a video I shot of Snow Bell's buddy Jeff skiing a chute in Snorting Elk bowl after hiking above the green valley lift.

Chris

Well done! Speedy guy!!

One chute skier's left of Grubstake Peak??

I did a Northway Peak summit chute...but it was on firm "styrafoam", having been both bombed and wind scoured.

• skierlyles
  • [skierlyles]
More
03 Jan 2009 19:13 #214360 by skierlyles
Replied by skierlyles on topic Re: Crystal - Jan 2, 2008

Well done! Speedy guy!!

One chute skier's left of Grubstake Peak??

I did a Northway Peak summit chute...but it was on firm "styrafoam", having been both bombed and wind scoured.

not sure where the true peak is, but it is the first good chute you see when peering down into the bowl just a bit left after the hike up. Good pow there, not yet windblasted or scoured. It was more important to be one of the first few down, I did not ski it and instead headed back down into green valley environs. Did not want to be the third :)

Yeah, the other chutes near northway looked good at first but surely must have been windpacked as the wind was howlin over there later in the day.

Glad to be a part of the epic Crystal day, hopefully this is not the best of the season.

Chris

• silaswild
  • [silaswild]
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
More
03 Jan 2009 21:42 - 03 Jan 2009 21:47 #214363 by silaswild
Replied by silaswild on topic Re: Crystal - Jan 2, 2008
No pics? Guess everyone was too busy skiing, or no vis in the white room?   My daughter could not get to Stevens, so she had to ski Crystal with me, what a happy dad!
Attachments:

• Scotsman
  • [Scotsman]
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
03 Jan 2009 21:47 #214364 by Scotsman
Replied by Scotsman on topic Re: Crystal - Jan 2, 2008
Very nice Silas and I agree with you that skiing deep powder with your daughter or son is very special!

More
03 Jan 2009 21:51 #214365 by skifish
Replied by skifish on topic Re: Crystal - Jan 2, 2008
We also made it up before the closure.  Right Angle to Left Angle trees was a fully overhead first run, followed by white bllss all day.  Was at Bruce's Bowl gate when North opened about 1:45.  Wind packed and bombed up top, very deep blower down low, the face directly above the Northway chair loading was the best snow, until we broke trail on Guntower Ridge next run. O-meadows to the E-lot at 2:30 was perhaps the best single powder run I've ever had at Crystal in 30+ years skiing there.  WoW!  

No pics, no one wanted to stop long enough to take the camera out.  Had to take the downhill day off today, too knackered.  Went X/C with the dog along the White River just above the 'claw.  Also a lot of fun.  Yay Winter!

• Snow Bell
  • [Snow Bell]
More
03 Jan 2009 22:49 #214366 by Snow Bell
Replied by Snow Bell on topic Re: Crystal - Jan 2, 2008
;D

More
04 Jan 2009 10:25 #214367 by gregL
Replied by gregL on topic Re: Crystal - Jan 2, 2008

a friend (lifelong Crystal skier-his dad pioneered avalanche dog programs) who had been hosed on Hamburger Hill under the Throne---carried down a fair ways, tumbled, lost both skis and a pole, but was able to extricate himself.

This was Craig R. ? Same guy who brought his chain saw up and cleared the trees off the road.

More
04 Jan 2009 14:56 #214368 by rbtree
Yep!! I just climbed/logged 1.5 loads off his neighbor's land in Union Hill.....and did a bunch of tree work for another neighbor right next to him.