Home > Trip Reports > December 25, Apple Valley MN, My first ski day

December 25, Apple Valley MN, My first ski day

12/15/08
Posted by Tony_Bentley on 12/29/08 3:28am
Christmas day was my first day ever on skis. At least my first day ever on skis without edges. Part of the Minnesota experience was to learn that real skiers need no mountains. I was very impressed with the equipment considering a skate skier can spend as much on their equipment as I can on mine.

The snow was apparently the best in years. Soft and squeaky and perfect tracks. My only regret was the few phone calls about the conditions in the Cascades. As much as I enjoy the sunny days, crisp temperatures and inviting people, I look forward to blower powder and steeps.
Looks like Lebannon hills in the pics to me. Am I correct? I was there over Christmas visiting my family who moved to Minnesota a few years back and also enjoyed a day perusing the rolling hills at Lebannon Hills park. The snow was fantastic and I only wished there was a mountain larger than the trash heap they call Buck Hill. Alas, I settled for dreaming of powder turns and upon arrival to the PNW I was blessed with a powder day at Stevens (yesterday). Seems good things come to those who wait. If you look around on the site you will see there are plenty of us PNW skiers who were forced  to flatter geographies over the holidays ( Lowell, Skip, Stugie, and us).

Hope everyone got back safely and that you all are ready for a great PNW winter!

Chris

I learned to cross-country ski at Apple Valley Senior High. Grew up skiing Buck Hill ( was on the freestyle ski team there for a couple seasons. ) Those were the years I got 75+ days skiing bumps.

Tony on skinny skis??  Now you can say you have had the experience but we all know you ski best on steeps!!   ;)

My first ski day of the winter was also back in the TC.  I skied at Willow River State park near Hudson, WI.  I wish I could have been in the Cascades for the epic snow instead.  Of course the day I get back it starts raining up in the mountains:(  Skate skiing is a great way to get in shape for tele skiing.

Reply to this TR

december-25-apple-valley-mn-my-first-ski-day
Tony_Bentley
2008-12-29 11:28:00