Home > Trip Reports > Dec 26, 2008, Kendall Stump

Dec 26, 2008, Kendall Stump

12/26/08
WA Snoqualmie Pass
Posted by wlm3 on 12/28/08 11:27pm
I headed up to Snoqualmie pass on Friday with Mike (triggerhappy) to tour Kendall Stump.  Skinned up the PCT for a while then made our way into the old clearcut (lots of brush still).  Snow in the trees was unconsolidated powder, nearly down to the ground.  Pole tests found only slight density variations.  Continued powering up (read SLOW) through the deep snow and made our way to the top ~5000ft.  Didn't notice any signs of instability as we headed up.  Dug a couple pits at the top to check out layers but I wasn't in the right spot.  Only saw varying density snow - four going to two fingers right down to the ground.  Knowing that the layers were around us, the NW facing open steeper slope on the top looked like a slide waiting to happen.  We stayed off that and skied down the treed ridge.  Lapped the top and then skied down, making our way into the more mature trees early to avoid the brush.  I hadn't skied in such deep powder in a couple years so it was fun but demanding.  Mike and I then spent an hour in the parking lot snow piles doing beacon practice.

The NWAC is very good at what they do - thanks guys - so read up before you head out.  AVI I course is a must.  Practice with your beacon and dig.   

Reply to this TR

dec-26-2008-kendall-stump
wlm3
2008-12-29 07:27:32