Home > Trip Reports > Source Lake, Dec 26, 2008

Source Lake, Dec 26, 2008

12/15/08
WA Snoqualmie Pass
Posted by Moscawulff on 12/25/08 1:48pm
Hey all,

I found a ride with some friends headed to the pass today snowshoeing into Source Lake. I didn't have my camera, so my apologies for the lack of pictures. I wanted to post some of my observations in the Alpental BC. While trying (struggling) to skin up the chute climber€™s right side of Sunshine Cliffs a slab release occurred above us and carried my companion down about 20 feet and buried him to his head. I was anchored in place and buried to my waist. The crown was about 30 feet wide and the slab about 6 inches deep. The altitude at that local is approx. 4,000 feet. I triggered the same a release of the same depth two turns later and traversed out (of course from Sunshine Cliffs this is all you can really do regardless). I observed signs of instability skiing in, such as small slab releases of the surface layer, and some instability about two feet down from a ski cut that I stomped. It seemed unlikely the snow would release to the lower depth.

Overall I feel like three layers of concern exist right now in the snow; the surface layer the fell in last 24 hours at 28-30 degrees. The layer between the snows that fell last week at much colder temps and this week€™s snowfall. And potentially depth hoar down deeper. I didn€™t dig a pit, so wasn€™t able to discern if this actually exists.

My greatest concern is all of you, and wanted to post that IMHO it€™s becoming unsafe at all elevations right now and I€™m not going into the BC anytime this weekend. Anything that seems safe on lower degree slopes isn€™t worth the climbing, unless you come from the old school mentality of climbing to school through three feet of snow both ways. The terrain steep enough to produce momentum, and maybe turns just doesn€™t seem safe. I just want to remind you that Alpental will open tomorrow but I hear that Crystal is far better and the lines at Alpy are hellish! Only tele-gapers ski there! Definitely not worth going to Alpental€¦but if you feel you must to be safe€¦I€™ll be gaping it up and down so feel free to say hello! Cheers and hope you all had a wonderful Christmas!
Do you mean Christmas Day - Dec 25? Your subject line presently says Dec 26.

Glad to hear everyone's safe!

Yeah, sorry for the typo!

you went skiing In the future?

Yes!, based on the hyperbolic nature of the flux capacitor the future is always with us, by our intentions!

Moscawulff,

Thanks for the 'heads up' on conditions you found at Source Lake.  Your observations and decisions to move on even though you saw obvious signs of instability I found interesting.  I do not mean to be harsh or critical, however, your experience is a perfect opportunity to get a discussion going about backcountry travel, avalanches and the 'decision making process' that we all have to make in similar situations.

You observed signs of instability, but why did you choose to move on and climb a chute?

Also, do you have any formal avalanche education? Awareness course? Level 1? Level 2?

Thanks!

Hey Brad,

Glad you're okay -- scary stuff.  Yesterday was the first really significant warm-up we've seen in a couple of weeks and a ton of snow -- no surprise that you found some nasty layers.

I'll be at Alpy on Saturday, in all likelihood -- I'll look for you!  Are you working or skiing?

Brad, thanks for sharing your experience. It takes a big guy to share some of their mishaps as well as their successes and your report is very helpful for the overall good of the BC community.
Get out on patrol now and get Alpy into shape and the boo out so we can get the goods!

Was this a skiier triggered slab, or did it release from a slough, tree bomb, etc..?

This report highlights something I'm always thankful for in the back of my mind, but I gotta call it out-DAMN NWAC IS GOOD AT WHAT THEY DO!!! Thanks guys!

http://www.turns-all-year.com/skiing_snowboarding/trip_reports/index.php?topic=11473.msg48463#msg48463

Marcus, Scottie, and bc_skier...thank you for the supportive feedback. My AVI education is self-taught by The Avalanche Handbook, NWAC’s on-line AVI ED website; http://www.nwac.us/education.htm, and fellow ski companions shared knowledge. That being said, I still consider myself novice to this field. I should hope continue to always gain a better understanding of AVI conditions, weather and terrain cruising. AHA! moments are better left for other things in life than understanding the first hand effects of tempting an unstable snowpack. I’m taking AVI I & II this winter. Lots of A’s in all these Acronyms, eh?

Similar to the big A-male mentality I took into that chute the other day. The cliff band was primed with snow and a twenty foot drop onto a condensed pillow (by previous slides). I figured the terrain was steep enough that unstable layers already released (the chute approx 55 degrees + and the drop in was a 70 degree pitch that went vert. about 15 feet down). Here’s some photos of the terrain when filled in with much greater snowpack: the chute is climbers right of photo 15, climber’s left and not visible in 12 and the drop if through the trees, which don’t exist any-more in center of 12   (http://www.alpental.com/scott15.htm, and http://www.alpental.com/scott12.htm) I felt adrenalized to air onto the lower hummocks run-out…not a stupid notion, just should have saved the effort of realizing such sensation for another day. So I’m taking this as my big red flag to always remember the bigger picture: Life.

I hope everyone is having fun with the other ways to enjoy them this weekend besides BC skiing. I’m grateful for the time I’ve spent dancing with beautiful women at house parties and the neighborhood funk bar, catching up with Z brahs, yoga, a photo album of my childhood from my mom for Christmas (Love you mom!), cooking fabulous food, and with our polydactyl cat “Raven.” There’s some great world beats, poi (fire dancing), and drumming down at Nectar tonight and it’s free! Come get your hippie on, but not too late…there’s powder shots scheduled at Denny Cathedral in the morning! Cheers all and a bright and happy new year to you all! Stay safe.

Good to hear you're taking Avy I&II Brad -- lots of great info in those courses.  Missed you at Alpy today -- it was a soggy mess and I ripped a binding out of a brand new pair of skis on the second run.  Got pretty good at monoskiing on the way back down from the top of Armstrong.

Thanks for sharing!Glad you are okay.

In stable conditions that might be a good line for the rando race in Alpental.HA!Ha!

author=Marcus link=topic=11662.msg48512#msg48512 date=1230448262]
Good to hear you're taking Avy I&II Brad -- lots of great info in those courses.  Missed you at Alpy today -- it was a soggy mess and I ripped a binding out of a brand new pair of skis on the second run.  Got pretty good at monoskiing on the way back down from the top of Armstrong.

Sorry to have missed you yesterday Marcus, and about your binding. Some word today that night operations will be running by Wednesday and I'm assuming you'll be headed up some weeknights to rip up the slopes and not your gear. Today's conditions were excellent, with solid face shots down lower ridge of Edelweiss, Upper-I and Felsen. Interesting to ski the groomers again, and how quiet the mountain was by 2 PM...folks were tuckered and hitting the bar early.

Glad you are ok.  Mike and I headed up on Friday (I responded to your post) but now I see why you weren't interested in skiing on Friday too.  The AVI I course is such a good thing to do.  Once you take that course you will have many tools, but you have to practice them to get better and learn the snowpack.  Has everyone dug a pit to check out the layers and practiced with their beacons?  WILL

Reply to this TR

source-lake-dec-26-2008
Moscawulff
2008-12-25 21:48:12