Home > Trip Reports > December 24-25, 2008, Snoquality Christmas

December 24-25, 2008, Snoquality Christmas

12/24/08
WA Snoqualmie Pass
Posted by Charlie Hagedorn on 12/25/08 12:03pm
After plane cancellations left me in town for Christmas, it was obvious that there was only one thing to do!

I was late out of town on Christmas Eve, so I headed for Hyak. Lapped the good to excellent (fluffy, calf/knee deep on the down) snow three times in the dark. Examining the snow at the top found 6-12" fracture propagation with a fairly easy shear at the base of the fluff - looked like the weak layer was surface hoar atop the soft crust. I was surprised to find hoar at the top of the ridge, and am still not positive I did.. WDOT shot the snowshed path with two shots. Sounded like they got something on the second.

Dawn turns were shelved in favor of sleeping in. Decided to take a relaxed tour through a usual haunt (3-5+k, all aspects but N<-->E). Low-brush backcountry is ready (old trees and truly open slopes). Younger trees still need a while. Sheltered but open slopes held knee+ pow and gave up faceshots even with my slow and conservative skiing. Stability had me worried all day - feels like the new snow wasn't quite consolidated enough or sitting on quite a weak enough layer to go as a slab, but it's close. A light tap on a snow-ghosted tree was sometimes enough to make it completely fail as a slab. Finally got something small to move on a steeper rollover at 3800'.

Fun day on good snow.
Thanks for the informative report.

Reply to this TR

december-24-25-2008-snoquality-christmas
Charlie Hagedorn
2008-12-25 20:03:16