Home > Trip Reports > Hogback 12/24 conditions

Hogback 12/24 conditions

12/15/08
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by filbo on 12/25/08 9:36am
After skiing the resort in the morning and not finding anyone willing to hike set out breaking trail about 10:30 and summited Gunsight at 12:30.  conditions were awesome; super cold plus windchill with the gusts on the ridge and knee deep pow in the steeps.  Dug a pit down to the rocks about 4 feet; eight to ten inches of soft on top of a layer that went all the way down to the earth with no hoar frost or sections.  The snow was trying to firm up on the deep layer but with the temps it could be better.  Rocked off a 8 inch slough slide on the steepest shot with a ski cut so made it over to a slightly less steep one and it held firm all the way to the bottom.  I'd say conditions are pretty good on the northeast facing and north faces back there, with of course caution.
Filbo, got a TR on the Resort?  Filled in or skinny?  Thinking about going tomorrow.  Just got back from Paradise ~ 2-3 ft of heavy snow - what a slog - took the pattern base boards - should have known better (or at least have checked), but hey, it's Christmas.  A few hearty souls doing laps on Alta Vista.  I think I'll ride a chairlift tomorrow...

the resort has heaps of snow and they just opened all the steeps so that after tonights storm it should be well filled in everywhere.

Reply to this TR

hogback-12-24-conditions
filbo
2008-12-25 17:36:30