Home > Trip Reports > Fargo, ND Christmas Tour - 12.25.08

Fargo, ND Christmas Tour - 12.25.08

12/15/08
Posted by Stugie on 12/25/08 9:09am
Yep, you read it correctly.

Fargo, ND.  If you heard me say "boat", you'd know it to be true.  When visiting home, there are two things that I grew up doing that help me pass the down time when I'm not feeling conversational - XC Skiing and ice skating (or hockey if possible! ;)

When the highest possible point gives you a 30' vertical drop at max, not only does it make touring easy, but it also can inspire one to learn new things.  Or at least try.  I was determined to at least get the concept of telemarking down.  Better yet, I had some old three-pins to learn it on.  When I told the fam I was going out for a tour, my dad exclaimed, "I used to climb the buttes in South Dakota and do that too!"  Seriously?  I was in awe for two reasons - 1) Of all the times I talk about skiing and such, this is the first time my dad bothered to mention that he used to telemark.  2) It then dawned on me that I would be using his xc/tele gear...circa 1976.

After I called and was brought a different (although painfully smaller) pair of boots, I decided to begin the real tour, and start following the Red River from south Moorhead, MN into west Fargo, ND.  The weather was perfect - sunny with hardly a cloud, 12*F, and an E wind sometimes managing 5 mph.  The new snow was so light that 20" was the equivalent to 1" of rain.  I quickly made my way along the river until I arrived at the "The Dike West".

It wasn't pretty.  Although I'll admit I had a few good turns and started getting the concept, I had trouble balancing on the skinny skis and my sweater turned white more than once.  However, it was good to be out in the snow and my mom thought so too...

More turns

Your pictures put new meaning to the phrase
A picture is worth a thousand words
(but in this case 207 words)  ;)

Yeah, you're quicker than I am.  Still trying to fix the problem.  Sorry about that...I'm doing the same thing I normally do...don't know why it's doing that...

fix it!  i want pictures!!!

We're waiting! . . .  Not too impatiently either.  ;)

lol...my mom's computer is running a program that blocks me from uploading url's.  I fly back tomorrow, so I'll try to post them up then!  LOL :)

You fail at midwestern internet...

But I can't wait to see the pictures :)

What happened here Scott!! Did you go skiing or something and leave us hanging for pictures? You've let me down. :'( Sure hope whatever it is your doing instead inspires good TR reading material!  ;)

Marcus, you are absolutely right.  Apparently I'm really bad at Pacific Coast internet too - this is so frustrating!  I promise I will get those photos up if it's the last thing I do...er, today sometime.

As for using my time for another TR Holly - I got in late on the night/morning of the 27th/28th.  So I used yesterday as a recoup day from all that flat land and went and ripped Crystal.  ;D  No tr.  But I'm not only determined to get these darned pics up, I am determined to learn tele as well!

FINALLY!!!  At least, the pics are linked...

I'm really confused as to why it didn't work this time...and a little miffed.  >:(

Oh well, if you're still interested in 5 day old pics...

Reply to this TR

fargo-nd-christmas-tour-12-25-08
Stugie
2008-12-25 17:09:10