telemark skiingbackcountry skiingPacific NorthwestWashington and Oregonweather linksThe Yuki AwardsMt. Rainier and Mt. Adams
Turns All Year
www.turns-all-year.com
  Help | Search | Login | Register
Turns All Year Trip Reports
Backcountry Skiing and Snowboarding

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
12/07/19, 02:09 AM

Become a TAY Sponsor!

Trip Reports Sponsor
Marmot Mountain Works
Marmot Mountain Works
Turns All Year Trip Reports
(1) Viewing these pages constitutes your acceptance of the Terms of Use.
(2) Disclaimer: the accuracy of information here is unknown, use at your own risk.
(3) Trip Report monthly boards: only actual trip report starts a new thread.
(4) Keep it civil and constructive - that is the norm here.

FOAC Snow
Info Exchange

NWAC Avalanche
Forecast
+  Turns All Year Trip Reports
|-+  2008 Backcountry Trip Reports
| |-+  December 2008 Backcountry Trip Reports
| | |-+  Fargo, ND Christmas Tour - 12.25.08
:
« previous next »
Pages: [1] | Go Down Print
Author Topic: Fargo, ND Christmas Tour - 12.25.08  (Read 3637 times)
Stugie

Fargo, ND Christmas Tour - 12.25.08
« on: 12/25/08, 05:09 PM »

Yep, you read it correctly.

Fargo, ND.  If you heard me say "boat", you'd know it to be true.  When visiting home, there are two things that I grew up doing that help me pass the down time when I'm not feeling conversational - XC Skiing and ice skating (or hockey if possible! Wink

When the highest possible point gives you a 30' vertical drop at max, not only does it make touring easy, but it also can inspire one to learn new things.  Or at least try.  I was determined to at least get the concept of telemarking down.  Better yet, I had some old three-pins to learn it on.  When I told the fam I was going out for a tour, my dad exclaimed, "I used to climb the buttes in South Dakota and do that too!"  Seriously?  I was in awe for two reasons - 1) Of all the times I talk about skiing and such, this is the first time my dad bothered to mention that he used to telemark.  2) It then dawned on me that I would be using his xc/tele gear...circa 1976.

Gear circa '76

I put on the old boots and started off.  After working a series of roads to take me from my house to the Red River, I worked my way on top of the dike to try dropping some tele turns.  My first turn resulted in a puff of powder and the realization (or maybe more so for my dad), that some newer boots would be needed.

Crappy boots

After I called and was brought a different (although painfully smaller) pair of boots, I decided to begin the real tour, and start following the Red River from south Moorhead, MN into west Fargo, ND.  The weather was perfect - sunny with hardly a cloud, 12*F, and an E wind sometimes managing 5 mph.  The new snow was so light that 20" was the equivalent to 1" of rain.  I quickly made my way along the river until I arrived at the "The Dike West".

The Dike West

"The Dike West" was THE sledding hill for Fargo/Moorhead area.  However, the other side was untracked powder, perfect for someone like me with ulterior motives.  Surprisingly, I noticed a significant windslab (about 1' deep) and I knocked a number of blocks loose to watch them slide or tumble down the side of the dike.  Avalanche in Fargo.  Time to get some turns in...

Attempting the Tele thing...

It wasn't pretty.  Although I'll admit I had a few good turns and started getting the concept, I had trouble balancing on the skinny skis and my sweater turned white more than once.  However, it was good to be out in the snow and my mom thought so too...

Playing in the snow

To finish the tour, we had some excellent grub, courtesy of my parents good cooking.  I'll leave you all with a few more pics and the words from that famous Christmas poem, "A Merry Christmas to all, and to all a good night!"

More turns

The groomers

Going from MN to ND

Red River

Again, trying to tele turn...
« Last Edit: 12/30/08, 11:44 AM by Stugie » Logged

"The mountains are not stadiums where I satisfy my ambition to achieve, they are the cathedrals; the houses where I practice my religion." - Anatoli Boukreev
Kyle Miller

Re: Fargo, ND Christmas Tour - 12.25.08
« Reply #1 on: 12/25/08, 05:15 PM »

Your pictures put new meaning to the phrase
A picture is worth a thousand words
(but in this case 207 words)  Wink

In a perfect world, everybody would act with the correct etiquette and follow the rules. Human nature as it is= NOT GOING TO HAPPEN....no matter how many discussion on ski blogs/websites. Face reality............
Stugie

« Reply #2 on: 12/25/08, 05:18 PM »

Yeah, you're quicker than I am.  Still trying to fix the problem.  Sorry about that...I'm doing the same thing I normally do...don't know why it's doing that...
« Last Edit: 12/25/08, 05:23 PM by Stugie » Logged

"The mountains are not stadiums where I satisfy my ambition to achieve, they are the cathedrals; the houses where I practice my religion." - Anatoli Boukreev
savegondor

« Reply #3 on: 12/26/08, 05:47 PM »

fix it!  i want pictures!!!
Teleskichica

« Reply #4 on: 12/26/08, 06:09 PM »

We're waiting! . . .  Not too impatiently either.  Wink

Livin' high on the cold smoke!
Stugie

« Reply #5 on: 12/26/08, 09:29 PM »

lol...my mom's computer is running a program that blocks me from uploading url's.  I fly back tomorrow, so I'll try to post them up then!  LOL Smiley

Marcus
Administrator

« Reply #6 on: 12/26/08, 10:36 PM »

You fail at midwestern internet...

But I can't wait to see the pictures Smiley
Teleskichica

« Reply #7 on: 12/28/08, 06:49 PM »

What happened here Scott!! Did you go skiing or something and leave us hanging for pictures? You've let me down. Cry Sure hope whatever it is your doing instead inspires good TR reading material!  Wink

Livin' high on the cold smoke!
Stugie

« Reply #8 on: 12/29/08, 11:05 AM »

Marcus, you are absolutely right.  Apparently I'm really bad at Pacific Coast internet too - this is so frustrating!  I promise I will get those photos up if it's the last thing I do...er, today sometime.

As for using my time for another TR Holly - I got in late on the night/morning of the 27th/28th.  So I used yesterday as a recoup day from all that flat land and went and ripped Crystal.  Grin  No tr.  But I'm not only determined to get these darned pics up, I am determined to learn tele as well!
« Last Edit: 12/29/08, 11:22 AM by Stugie » Logged

Stugie

« Reply #9 on: 12/30/08, 11:46 AM »

FINALLY!!!  At least, the pics are linked...

I'm really confused as to why it didn't work this time...and a little miffed.  Angry

Oh well, if you're still interested in 5 day old pics...

Pages: [1] | Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Thank you to our sponsors!
click to visit our sponsor: Feathered Friends
Feathered Friends
click to visit our sponsor: Marmot Mountain Works
Marmot Mountain Works
click to visit our sponsor: Second Ascent
Second Ascent
click to visit our sponsor: American Alpine Institute
American Alpine Institute
click to visit our sponsor: Pro Guiding Service
Pro Guiding Service
Contact turns-all-year.com

Turns All Year Trip Reports ©2001-2010 Turns All Year LLC. All Rights Reserved

The opinions expressed in posts are those of the poster and do not necessarily
reflect the opinions of Trip Reports administrators or Turns All Year LLC

Turns All Year Trip Reports | Powered by SMF 1.0.6.
© 2001-2005, Lewis Media. All Rights Reserved.