telemark skiingbackcountry skiingPacific NorthwestWashington and Oregonweather linksThe Yuki AwardsMt. Rainier and Mt. Adams
Turns All Year
www.turns-all-year.com
  Help | Search | Login | Register
Turns All Year Trip Reports
Backcountry Skiing and Snowboarding

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
10/31/14, 08:53 PM

Solar Halo over Tahoma
on TAY home page

Trip Reports Sponsor
Marmot Mountain Works
Marmot Mountain Works
Turns All Year Trip Reports
(1) Viewing these pages constitutes your acceptance of the Terms of Use.
(2) Disclaimer: the accuracy of information here is unknown, use at your own risk.
(3) Trip Report monthly boards: only actual trip report starts a new thread.
(4) Keep it civil and constructive - that is the norm here.

FOAC Snow
Info Exchange

NWAC Avalanche
Forecast
+  Turns All Year Trip Reports
|-+  2008 Backcountry Trip Reports
| |-+  December 2008 Backcountry Trip Reports
| | |-+  December 27, 2008 Crystal Northway
:
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]  All | Go Down Print
Author Topic: December 27, 2008 Crystal Northway  (Read 6581 times)
Bandit

Re: December 27, 2008 Crystal Northway
« Reply #25 on: 12/30/08, 06:03 PM »

Snowgirl,  Thanks for the clarification. You are a voice of reason. Case closed. No lawyers, no voucher. Power outages and down lifts are something skiiers need to tolerate. Just like wind and rain and anything else that can upset a good ski day.

That is all. Hit the Powder Please!!

The world is a dangerous place to live - not because of the people who are evil but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
- Albert Einstein
aaron_wright

« Reply #26 on: 12/30/08, 06:45 PM »

I got stuck on the Liberator at Mission last year for 50 minutes during a big storm with winds to 60 mph, snowing with near whiteout conditions at 15 degrees F. I got a free voucher for a mocha at the Hampton Lodge. I still bought my pass this year and am not complaining. I knew it was risky to keep riding the Lib that day but the snow was too good to stop. I'm just glad I didn't have to evac in those conditions.
everestbill
5Member

« Reply #27 on: 12/30/08, 07:31 PM »

I am out the door at 4 AM and will be at CM EARLY and will get some of those turns we all dream about all year long, This is the Storm we have been dancing about, It's snorkel time and be safe and ski with a bud, I have a private stash that no one knows about and is always there for 3 to 4 laps.
turn well friends.
skin it, climb it, ski it.

"rich has nothing to do with money."
Dr. Snow
(Sinners)
Bandit

« Reply #28 on: 12/31/08, 07:42 AM »

Private Stash?

I've been there! It's not private any more!

The world is a dangerous place to live - not because of the people who are evil but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
- Albert Einstein
everestbill
5Member

« Reply #29 on: 12/31/08, 09:29 PM »

I did not see a soul in my tracks today, so it's still my stash and let me say OMG. if you were not there, too bad. 1st chair on six and my stash all day long, I felt like I was in sinners all day long. Glad you found your stash, I will wait for the next storm to hit, Sat is looking like it might nuke again and it will be stash time.
Turn well and ski with a bud, it's getting kind of spooky out there.

"rich has nothing to do with money."
Dr. Snow
(Sinners)
bcskier3204
1Member

« Reply #30 on: 01/01/09, 05:10 PM »

Stevens had to close at noon today (1-1-09) at the request of the DOT.   Even so, they passed out vouchers to ticket holders to use another day Cheesy. Disappointing to hear the Crystal was not as accommodating.  Not the first time Stevens has put the customer first (and hopefully, not the last).  Oh, the skiing was very nice too.  Few, if any, made it up from the Westside.Thanks!
lordhedgie

« Reply #31 on: 01/01/09, 06:36 PM »

After a string of nasty threads resulting from a lack of snow, are we getting nasty arguments resulting from high avy conditions?

If you don't do it this year, you'll be one year older when you don't do it next year.
Baltoro
5Member

« Reply #32 on: 01/03/09, 12:09 PM »

I don't know if something to this effect was posted above but it's dangeroud for ski resorts to admit fault due to potential liability.

Say Crystal says, "Okay. Here's two lift tickets to offset your lost time and suffering on the stuck chair."

Now one of the guys stuck on the lift starts noticing his nose is a little numb. It sounds lame but people have sued and won large settlements over all sorts of stupid stuff.

There's probably a better way to handle it than how it went down but they do walk a fine line.
savegondor

« Reply #33 on: 01/03/09, 04:02 PM »

Just to clear the air....  Your friends were stuck on the Northway lift because of a power outage.  After 28 minutes we (yes I work for the mountain) were able to fire up the diesel engine, start the lift and get everyone off safely.  I'm sure 28 minutes seemed like a lot longer when you're sitting in the cold.  I am sorry this happened to your friends and it's unfortunate but, I'm not sure what, if anything, Guest Services will do since your friends already skied a full day and this mishap (thanks to PSE) was resolved in less than half-an-hour.

Yes, still unacceptable.  Good management and good customer service should have instantly and without question given out at least a free pass if not much much more.  Doesn't matter whether there was a power outage, or whether the lift workers could have done better.  This is a PR issue and even the mere existence of this post is evidence of a total failure of Crystal's public relations experience (assuming this really happened).
Bandit

« Reply #34 on: 01/03/09, 09:48 PM »

Yes, still unacceptable.  Good management and good customer service should have instantly and without question given out at least a free pass if not much much more.  Doesn't matter whether there was a power outage, or whether the lift workers could have done better.  This is a PR issue and even the mere existence of this post is evidence of a total failure of Crystal's public relations experience (assuming this really happened).

I really don't think Crystal Mt has any control over a power outage. Any more than they have control over an avalanche, high winds, etc. Being stuck on a chairlift for 28 minutes isn't too bad. How about beiing stuck intraffic for 60 minutes on 405? Are you going to ask WSDOT to reimburse you for the gas you burned waiting in traffic? No

- Albert Einstein
snoqpass

« Reply #35 on: 01/05/09, 12:57 PM »

Ok. Case closed. Down lift. Power out Diesal engines are hard to start in the cold. Since it's a new lift, Crystal probably called a mechanic to zoom up on a snowmobile to make sure the expensive engine was operated correctly.

No harm, no foul as I see it.
I had always thought back-up motors were run as part of start-up procedures everyday.
Bandit

« Reply #36 on: 01/06/09, 05:41 PM »

I had always thought back-up motors were run as part of start-up procedures everyday.

Occasionally , Crystal will fire up the diesel engines to make surre they are operating correctly. But, only now and then. They should fire immediately,  with a person in the know, on how to operate those expensive pieces of equipment.

- Albert Einstein
oftpiste

« Reply #37 on: 01/06/09, 06:20 PM »

Many of you know I've been a vocal critic of CM customer relations. I wish I weren't but there it is. I will say that I have heard a couple of pretty bad stories already this year of people being treated less than thoughtfully. Really, how hard is it to do something nice for a dissatisfied customer (even if you - as a customer relations person - disagree) if they are genuine. A voucher for another day costs little relative to the loyalty and good will it will generate. The sad thing is you hear the bad stories, but it's rare to hear the good ones and it makes me think they're few and far between.

But I have one to share, and I have a major kudo for the lot patrol. On a very cold and blustery day last week my wife and I repaired to the adventuremobile at the end of the day to get ourselves organized prior to retrieving the grom trio closer to the lodge. As I do every time I ski I unlocked the 'burban, started it up for warmth and defrosting, and hit the unlock button to gain access to the barn doors for debootifying etc. Unfortunately, being fully gloved (which I'm normally not but it was really cold) I hit the down (locking) side of the button instead of the up (unlocking) side and shut the door. Engine running, keys in the ignition, doors locked, big stink-eye from the wife, much browbeating of self ensuing.

I flagged down one of the lot guys who, with an excellent attitude and sense of humor, persistently worked his door opening thingy for about 15 minutes before finally getting a window down regaining us access. He was cheerful, friendly and had a 'no big deal' approach to the whole thing. I gave him a tenner and he seemed so appreciative it made me wonder if such gratuities were unusual which of course they shouldn't be.

Since then I've become acutely aware of the movements of those old 4x4 trucks that prowl the parking lots and see them helping people all the time. THAT'S  how to take care of your customers, and perhaps the entire organization could take a lesson from these guys who are undoubtedly some of the coolest, hard working, cold-resistant and possibly most underpaid 'guest relations' experts at the resort.

Yes, I am an idiot, but I LOVE you guys!

BRING BACK PNW BRIT!!!!
BRING BACK PNW BRIT!!!!
BRING BACK PNW BRIT!!!!
BRING BACK PNW BRIT!!!!
cjski

« Reply #38 on: 01/08/09, 01:58 PM »

Crystal has always had poor customer relations in my book.  My wife and I went up to ski after snoqualmie opened but could not use our pass because they were not in full operations.  they said that I could come back tomorrow and use it because west and central would be open.  I told them that was not full operations so why would it work tomorrow and not today?  They said that it had to do with full price tickets and not lifts open......  There were tons of people just like me trying to use their passes and get what we paid for.  We nicely asked them to work with us, like maybe half price or....  but they said there was nothing they could do, aka tough crap, give us your money.  Numerous people tried to talk to a manager or someone who could do something but we were never allowed to.  In my experiences it seems that they have an uncaring attitude to their customers. 

In another instance I was stuck on a lift at baker for 30 minutes.  when we got off they bent over backwards for us and we were not even making a big deal out of it.  Everyone just figured that it was part of skiing.  They passed out ticket vouchers and left a good taste in everyones mouth.  Sure, crystal is a good mountain but everytime I go there I get a snobbish bad taste in my mouth. 

CJ
khyak

« Reply #39 on: 01/09/09, 04:53 PM »

Ummmm, is this a trip report???   I am getting tired of clicking on trip reports and seeing this rant about Crystal!  I believe this site is primarily for BC skiers.  Is there some reason people continue to use it as a forum to bitch?

Is there a moderator available??  Can we at least move this drivel to the proper category.   Sorry for the negativity,  but let's concentrate on skiing and less whining.  Thanks Kevin
Snow Bell

« Reply #40 on: 01/09/09, 05:21 PM »

I am getting tired of clicking on trip reports and seeing this rant about Crystal! 

Me too!  I wish Crystal management would quit pissing people off. 

Life is going to slide by you one way or another
oftpiste

« Reply #41 on: 01/10/09, 02:42 AM »

Ummmm, is this a trip report???   I am getting tired of clicking on trip reports and seeing this rant about Crystal!  I believe this site is primarily for BC skiers.  Is there some reason people continue to use it as a forum to bitch?

Is there a moderator available??  Can we at least move this drivel to the proper category.   Sorry for the negativity,  but let's concentrate on skiing and less whining.  Thanks Kevin

I'm sorry, and I may get in trouble for this, but I always find it kinda funny when people complain about other people complaining in the same thread.

You should go back and look at some of the drivel and whining we've done in the past. THEN you'd have something to complain about!

You don't work for CM guest relations do you......?
 Grin

BRING BACK PNW BRIT!!!!
BRING BACK PNW BRIT!!!!
BRING BACK PNW BRIT!!!!
BRING BACK PNW BRIT!!!!
Keith_Henson

« Reply #42 on: 01/11/09, 06:50 PM »

I just wanted to say that I am really enjoying the new crystal ski patrol blog which is very active, informative, and seems to be responding to the public's questions. It is a fine antidote to the TV show (about which the less said the better) and seems to be going a long way in fostering communication. So kudos to Crystal and I encourage folks to check it out.

Keith A Henson, Puyallup
AAC
"Let's go! That powder's not going to ski itself."
www.KeithHenson.net
savegondor

« Reply #43 on: 01/12/09, 12:25 AM »

I really don't think Crystal Mt has any control over a power outage. Any more than they have control over an avalanche, high winds, etc. Being stuck on a chairlift for 28 minutes isn't too bad. How about beiing stuck intraffic for 60 minutes on 405? Are you going to ask WSDOT to reimburse you for the gas you burned waiting in traffic? No

What obvious is that you've never had an illustrious job in sales as i have.  the good opinion spread by one happy skier (say one that was reinbursed by Crystal) sells Crystal to a lot of other people.  Crystal makes even more money by treating people well. 

28 minutes on a chair lift isn't bad?  So is it good?

the hypothetical on 405 is somewhat similar in the sense that if our city government provides a better product (i.e. 405 with less congestion), then the city is richer, wealthier, and it's citizens are happy.  More commerce is more wealth and is accomplished through good PR as well. 
Teleskichica

« Reply #44 on: 01/12/09, 07:19 AM »

Crystal PR certainly does not have control over power outages, anymore than they have control over my broken ankle; however, they do have control over their guest relations and it could be conducted in such a manner as to foster more positive feedback than negative. I too was in a position to ask for a voucher of sorts with respect to the unlimited usable season pass received as a Warren Miller prize. It was probably a write off to Crystal and cost them very little in the way of promotional material but it promised to be very effective: I was already convincing friends they HAD to ski Crystal this season and had every intention of bringing my 6 and 8 year old children. Alas, broken ankles do not bode well for ski season and I am still in a cast. Meanwhile, having called, emailed and written to guest relations (still can't drive), requesting a postponement of voucher redemption for the 09/10 season or some kind of transfer to another individual--everything was denied. Yes, I already posted about this, so I won't detail it again. I will however say that the experience that might have turned me into a "Crystal for life addict" has now soured and I am once again disinclined to spend money for lifts, remaining an "earn your turn" addict for myself and the next generation that follows me. Certainly, what have I lost that I already had? Nothing, easy come, easy go. But neither did Crystal gain,  when they had every opportunity to do so.

Livin' high on the cold smoke!
oftpiste

« Reply #45 on: 01/13/09, 04:39 PM »

Your story is incredibly compelling, and their response is inconceivably wrongheaded. It just doesn't seem to be such a complicated equation to keep customers happy. Every time I think of this tale my head just spins with wonder.

Did they have any kind of reasoning that made any sense?

I'd be knocking - politely and respectfully of course - on JK's door in person I think....once you're mobile anyway!

Crystal PR certainly does not have control over power outages, anymore than they have control over my broken ankle; however, they do have control over their guest relations and it could be conducted in such a manner as to foster more positive feedback than negative. I too was in a position to ask for a voucher of sorts with respect to the unlimited usable season pass received as a Warren Miller prize. It was probably a write off to Crystal and cost them very little in the way of promotional material but it promised to be very effective: I was already convincing friends they HAD to ski Crystal this season and had every intention of bringing my 6 and 8 year old children. Alas, broken ankles do not bode well for ski season and I am still in a cast. Meanwhile, having called, emailed and written to guest relations (still can't drive), requesting a postponement of voucher redemption for the 09/10 season or some kind of transfer to another individual--everything was denied. Yes, I already posted about this, so I won't detail it again. I will however say that the experience that might have turned me into a "Crystal for life addict" has now soured and I am once again disinclined to spend money for lifts, remaining an "earn your turn" addict for myself and the next generation that follows me. Certainly, what have I lost that I already had? Nothing, easy come, easy go. But neither did Crystal gain,  when they had every opportunity to do so.

BRING BACK PNW BRIT!!!!
BRING BACK PNW BRIT!!!!
BRING BACK PNW BRIT!!!!
BRING BACK PNW BRIT!!!!
Pages: 1 [2]  All | Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Thank you to our sponsors!
click to visit our sponsor: Feathered Friends
Feathered Friends
click to visit our sponsor: Marmot Mountain Works
Marmot Mountain Works
click to visit our sponsor: Second Ascent
Second Ascent
click to visit our sponsor: American Alpine Institute
American Alpine Institute
click to visit our sponsor: Pro Guiding Service
Pro Guiding Service
Contact turns-all-year.com

Turns All Year Trip Reports ©2001-2010 Turns All Year LLC. All Rights Reserved

The opinions expressed in posts are those of the poster and do not necessarily
reflect the opinions of Trip Reports administrators or Turns All Year LLC

Turns All Year Trip Reports | Powered by SMF 1.0.6.
© 2001-2005, Lewis Media. All Rights Reserved.