Home > Trip Reports > Dec 20 Bullion/Cement

Dec 20 Bullion/Cement

12/15/08
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by ovrthhills on 12/22/08 1:10am
Sidnie, James, Randy and I left the upper parking lot at 9:30 and climbed a well established skin track to Bullion Basin. After breaking out of the trees we left the trail and headed north and climbed under the prominent rock band and then climbed the main ridge on the far lookers left of Bullion Basin.  This area is usually wind scoured and icy but because of recent north winds was filled in more than usual and breaking trail was arduous.  The weather was moving in fast and ominous clouds were visible to the S with increasing SE winds.  Several six inch slabs had formed on NW facing aspects in exposed areas and released easily.  We also noticed surface hoar  in the sheltered sections.  We reached the ridge and dropped into Cement basin after a ski  cut. Our next run was  down the front just left of the ridge we had climbed.  This open slope skied better than I had ever seen with face shots and wind rolls for 1,000 feet. After climbing back up to near the ridge the wind came up and it was time to go. Our last run was spectacular with wind blown snow engulfing us with every turn, adding a wild touch to our ride.  The run back through the trees to the parking lot was survival skiing through willows and tight trees.  Left at  3:00 in a storm. Sorry, no pictures but imagine more pictures of face shots and beautiful lines. ;D
Looks like winter is underway at the Ellis household!

We had been up there just the day prior, took the same route up.  It's funny you mentioned how windscoured it usually is because that's usually why we access E Peak further to the N than Bullion, but as you said, it was filled in pretty good.  I imagine u guys got some more loading as winds seemed to be bringing the goods to C Basin the day before too.  Glad you guys got some good shots!

Reply to this TR

dec-20-bullion-cement
ovrthhills
2008-12-22 09:10:21