Home > Trip Reports > Deep in Crystal BC - 12.18-19.08

Deep in Crystal BC - 12.18-19.08

12/15/08
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by Stugie on 12/21/08 12:57pm
Deep as in the depth of the snow.  Kyle, Skier Dan and myself headed out ready to get some of the goods, and the goods were good.

Kyle gets caught making out with the powder.

We stuck mostly to familiar terrain in the south bc due to low visibility.  It was puking and breaking trail was extremely tedious.

Stugie knee deep.

Breaking trail was worth it though, as there was some immensely good snow to be had.  Although it was puking the whole day, we only worried about sluffs, and seeing one sluff-slide naturally from a rock face, causing a rush of powder so light it practically dissipated into the air.

Dan stabs it with his steely knife and kills the beast.

The day ended by hastily drying things out for the following day.

The following day resulted in the same euphoric, blissful feeling in the same light, deep powder.  Only it was bluebird....yeah, bluebird.

Weighing out the options.

Skinning out of C. Basin after freshies...only our freshies;)

Stugie digs in.

Dan shows Stugie how its really done.

Kyle milks it.

The day ended in a lot of beer, an enormous pile of nachos, and a late night at the base of the mountain.  If you got it while it was good, great.  If not, stay stoked cause there's HELLA more on the way!
Nice job guys great pictures and report, but can you fill me in on some of the conditions of the snowpack that you saw as you traveled your many aspects.
I am interested if you saw any hoar layers on any aspects from your digs and at what depths?
In the last 24 hours the snowpack in the vicinity that you traveled got slammed with wind. Some of the aspects S-SW got blasted to nearly the ground. Almost all slopes in all aspect had some softer slab layer (trap layer), with medium size slab releases on the usual wind loaded locations.
For the record, I guess I am curious if there will be two layers to consider when it gets loaded.
I'm considering that todays wind layer, that consisted of a breakable softer sort of density, may take a little time to consolidate due to the lower moisture content of the snow and colder temps.
Just trying to take an inventory for future considerations.
Thanks guys.

Hey Joeda, maybe we'll see you up tomorrow (Monday?)?

Skinning and skiing around Dogleg Bowl on Thursday, the snow was mostly powder, and light and unconsolidated.  Underneath, maybe a foot down, the snow grew a bit more consolidated as you got down, and about 1.5-2' down there seemed to be a crust layer, definitely something to keep in mind when the slopes get weighted with our usual heavier Cascadian white stuff.

On Friday, I noticed on the western side of East Peak a more significant crust layer at the same level as the day before.  However, the snow on top was extremely light still and fell into "cold smoke" when I did tests. 

Cement Basin was actually surprising...I was expecting to dig further down before hitting the ground...maybe 2.5'?  Same result, light smoke on top of a crusted layer, which, at the time proved to be a good ski...

However, I noticed hardly any wind, other than immediately at the summit.  I think it is a good possibility that hoar frost developed atop the layers on Friday night, and with the added weight and extra few feet of new, heavier snow, I would guess that not only would the crust layer be a concern, but also a faceted layer of dryer, less dense snow with perhaps a hoar frost to add in some fun predictability factors.  Leeward slopes will be carrying quite a load...

Nice work, fellas!  Happy Holidays!

Hey, you too!  We gotta meet up soon...pm us if you're heading up there after the 27th.

Reply to this TR

deep-in-crystal-bc-12-18-19-08
Stugie
2008-12-21 20:57:48