Home > Trip Reports > December 21, 2008, Maple Leaf High Route

December 21, 2008, Maple Leaf High Route

12/21/08
Posted by Lowell_Skoog on 12/21/08 9:21am

Steph skis by the hut in the middle of the tour.  Unfortunately it was locked for the winter and no guardian could be found.

This afternoon my wife and I completed an exploratory tour along the crest of the Maple Leaf Range.  We set out from our house and skied westward along latitude "NE 88th Street" to longitude "Roosevelt Avenue NE." Turning south we traversed the west shore of Maple Leaf Lake beneath its distinctive water tower.

No-sided shelter in the Maple Leaf primitive area.

Arriving at Maple Leaf park we hoped to take shelter in the old mountain hut but found it locked.  Pressing on, we headed for another promising looking shelter.  On closer inspection, we found that this shelter was designed more as a viewpoint than as a refuge in a storm, since it had no sides or roof.

Feeling exposed as nightfall was approaching, we decided not to complete the loop via longitude "15th Avenue NE" and instead returned home the same way we came.  Perhaps with an earlier start and by carrying emergency rations, we'll feel confident enough to complete the loop on our next attempt.

Steph skis by Maple Leaf Lake on the return leg of the tour.

p.s.  The gazebo in the second picture was made by an active backcountry skier who I imagine reads TAY. Are you out there Nick?
Yes, Roosevelt much safer for long trips when traveling light and fast. Unlike Roosevelt, 15th is lacking in bars and grills, hand made Chinese noodles, coffee shops until you get all the way to Lat. 65th NE.  Good thing the SPU mountain patrollers were not there when you trying the old huts.

Nice effort Lowell -- that terrain is pretty out there.  I rarely make it farther than the Cloud City gap, but it's a personal failing rather than a lack of adequate equipment...

Sounds like TAY could provide enough huts and keepers in N Seattle to support a serious touring operation...Greenlake to Phinney to Greenwood to Shoreline to Maple Leaf....

maybe we should christen it the OUT (of office) Route rather than the Haute Route?

Lowell,
I ventured far from home on four wheels Saturday night to spend the rest of the winter weekend in Ballard. I skied with some friends including another teacher, and ran into the parents of one youngen. Sorry we didn't run into you; although I knew you'd be touring it up.

We gained Phinney Ridge and dropped down into the chute along the neighborhood center. We climbed back up again to find a woman named Wendy and her friend serving HoCho (with marshmellows) to folks at the top of 65th---closed to cars.The only obstacle on that chute was the guy on the inflatable mattress and countless children!

We continued the tour to Shilshole Marina--our ski and sea--and rounded back along the Burke Gillman into Ballard proper. We kicked off the skis and set them on the flower box of the Sloop Tavern and marched in like it was a ski chalet to eat fish and chips. Well fed and slooped up, we skied back up 20th in the dark of the snowy evening, laughing at our good fortune to tour in town.

We completed the Sloop Loop.
photos coming soon, right jim?

Nice tr!  Glad to see that you guys made it back safely after having a brush with the dark.  There's some really good info for safety in the high routes here. ;)  Have a great holiday!

Reply to this TR

december-21-2008-maple-leaf-high-route
Lowell_Skoog
2008-12-21 17:21:55