Home > Trip Reports > December 21, 2008, West Seattle, Triple Threat

December 21, 2008, West Seattle, Triple Threat

12/21/08
WA elsewhere
Posted by The_Snow_Troll on 12/21/08 7:02am
Seeing all the posts of others in my 'hood pushed me over the breaking point, I had to get some of the goods.

My entire life my Dad has told me many tall stories...each winter he would recall the good times he would have of sledding from his house on 55th and Charlestown down to Alki, so today I set out to ski that route.

I skinned up Genese to 55th, tore hide at 55th & Charletown, in front of the house my grandfather built.  Skied down Charlestown / Orleans took a right on 60th to Alki...actually a pretty sweet run.

Then up and over the hill to the top of Charlestown and 39th.  Tore hide again and skied down Charltestown to my Auntie Mame's house.  I made quick work of clearing some snow for her, had a hot totty and was off again.

Skinned back up Charlestown to 39th, tore hide for the final ski home down California then Genesee and to my house in time to put Fiona down for a nap!

All in all a really fun tour, it's be esnowing since I left Alki at 11:30am.  I think I'll do it again...maybe now.

Confidential to Dad:  I'll never doubt your stories again....well...maybe some of them...
Last night (Saturday) 2 friends and I spent hours yo-yo-ing from the high point of seattle (The water towers on 35th, West Seattle) down both Othello and Myrtle/Frontenac.  While the latter is a steeper route, you can ride Othello down, across California, across Fontleroy, and down Lincoln Park Way from 520 elev. to sea level in about 3-4 minutes.  The Beveridge Place Pub was open till 2 am, and we stopped in for beers and got a growler to bring with.  Never thought I'd see really decent skiing in Seattle, but last night was it! :)

West Seattle golf course snow was wetter than I would have expected Saturday.  Just enough coverage and a few turns could be done on the gentle slopes.  I opted to not bother Sunday because of major crust/ice on top of last nights snow.  I haven't skied to Alki for many years, though it has happened twice.  Might have to try that Monday eve.  Or hit the golf course again-I think there should be enough light unless its snowing heavy  ;)

Jay C

West Seattle crew represent!   8) 
Yeah last night me (on alpine skis) and a few of the neighbors (all on snowboards) did a bunch of laps on our local steep hill, Andover Street.

About a 100 foot drop, as per the 5' contour layer on the King County iMap site.  Lapped it about 8 or 9 times... super awesomeness!!!  We were thinking of making the trek over to that Genessee hill, but decided to be lazy and stay local.

Then rode the mtn bike to Alki today; didn't see any other bikers, but saw a bunch of XC skiers.

Man I wish it snowed in Seattle more often ...  Kinda sucks when so much comes when you're trying to, like, catch a plane to go see family for the holidays, but oh well...  Snow beggars can't be snow choosers.  ;D

Reply to this TR

december-21-2008-west-seattle-triple-threat
The_Snow_Troll
2008-12-21 15:02:14