Home > Trip Reports > Gasworks Park, Winter Solstice, 2008

Gasworks Park, Winter Solstice, 2008

12/15/08
Posted by Moscawulff on 12/21/08 5:44am
Don gave me the idea to shred Gasworks Thursday night after it began to snow. I was able to sled red rider the 12 blocks there from my house as the streets were compact ice. I skulled a couple of these blocks until my friend yelled at me for almost being run over by a car...roundabouts are a new kind of terrain trap. All in all the conditions that night on the knoll in the park were hard pack grass. It was fast and furious sledding, all done with some Snow Cap in hand and the company of a lot of rowdy college kids.

This morning when I awoke however it was on! We have 6 inches in town with a breakable crust on the surface. No bother, I wanted that knoll. It was already tracked out by children sledding when we arrived, and the surface was bulletproof ice. Still, when do you get to ski with the space needle in the backdrop? So, here's some photos of knar-fest '08...happy holidays everyone!

E. Aloha.  Be there.  or miss the turns of a lifetime.

West facing chutes of of Greenwood are loaded, stable, and steep. Objective dog poo hazard found.

Excellent photo's Moscawulff; way to get the goods.

author=Randy Beaver link=topic=11600.msg48227#msg48227 date=1229907346]
West facing chutes of of Greenwood are loaded, stable, and steep. Objective dog poo hazard found.

East facing slopes off Phinney Ridge are quite nice too and I had to fend off a rabid pookerdoodle (whatever in the hell those dogs are called) while doing a Greenlake basin circumnavigation.  65th was fast and furious.  All this after eating biscuits and gravy with a side of grits and two eggs from Mae's Dinner (It felt like I was pulling a sled at first).

It's still snowing and I'm almost out of wine ;(  Does anyone know how to get in touch with one of those rescue Saint. Bernards with the little keg around it's neck?

HAPPY SOLSTICE - we made it over the hump!!

cd

Happy solstice, Moscawulff!  I bet that, even though the flat landers may not have appreciated the subtle nuances and fluid power of your turns, the sheer beauty of your solstice ski dance will provide many new converts. 

BTW - Did you give any thought to the poor gapers at the bottom of the hill?  Think not of yourself, but of your touring partners, young Tele-buck.  How could you hope to dig out so many of the flat landers if one of your vicious cuts had sent all of Gasworks sloughing towards Lake Union?

Beautiful shot and great choice of Seattle hill for today. 

beautiful photos!
the form of your tele.
the skyline of the city!
what fun!

That's pretty sweet! Way to go.

I wouldn't call it an epic backcountry ski tour per se, but skate skiing along Alki and then up to breakfast on Admiral was quite a hoot. Taking the steepest road back down to Beach Drive was rather exciting though...

author=climberdave link=topic=11600.msg48230#msg48230 date=1229909618]
65th was fast and furious.

Yes, 65th was awesome!

author=climberdave link=topic=11600.msg48230#msg48230 date=1229909618]
East facing slopes off Phinney Ridge are quite nice too

Here's NW 71st (east facing) just after sundown on Sunday: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KJxJKLUU744

Golden Gardens yesterday:

How did you get back up the hill once you reached the bottom? I can't see any easy climb out.

I'll second the comment on your style.

Reply to this TR

gasworks-park-winter-solstice-2008
Moscawulff
2008-12-21 13:44:47