Home > Forum > Early Season Pet Peave

Early Season Pet Peave

• Bandit
  • [Bandit]
More
21 Dec 2008 06:37 #184643 by Bandit
Early Season Pet Peave was created by Bandit
I agonize in early season when the snow looks really good. I can't stand getting my ski bases scuffed from rocks or tree limbs. So I wait.

In the past, I have hit sawed off little fir trees , that almost broke my leg. I had a friend hit a snag and incur a serious back injury.

I'm going to wait for the snow to settle and cover more.

Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
21 Dec 2008 07:33 #184644 by Zap
Replied by Zap on topic Re: Early Season Pet Peave
I share some of the same agony. Ski bases are relatively easy to repair but the body hits may require a good part of the season to repair. Being in my 60's, I have experienced quite a few "the best day ever".  I'm pretty certain there will be a few more this season and in my lifetime.  I'm always pleased to see and hear others stabilizing the base. I'm trying to stay on the heather slopes and groomers, at least for awhile.  ;)

I also gave away all my rock skis last season after someone who wasn't an adult asked me why I had skis to "ski rocks".  Kids ask the "darnest questions".

• Keith_Henson
  • [Keith_Henson]
More
21 Dec 2008 07:39 #184645 by Keith_Henson
Replied by Keith_Henson on topic Re: Early Season Pet Peave
Keep those tips up!
Attachments:

• Bandit
  • [Bandit]
More
21 Dec 2008 08:57 #184649 by Bandit
Replied by Bandit on topic Re: Early Season Pet Peave
Thanks Keith! Good advice.

I don't mind the small dings. I fix those myself. It's those down to the core, major shots to the base that make my blood boil.

Like I said , it's a pet peave. My friends give me alot of grief about this, but I'll wait!!

• Jim Oker
  • [jim_oker]
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
More
22 Dec 2008 11:51 #184675 by Jim Oker
Replied by Jim Oker on topic Re: Early Season Pet Peave
Waiting a bit has been easier than ever this year - I'm amazed at how wonderful the XC skiing has been right around my house in Woodinville. Got up to the mountains for a little recon on Saturday, but it still feels a tad early for my aging tastes. The local XC ation is not quite the same as a great tour for turns in the mountains,  but I've done my share of bouncing off logs and stumps, hoping not to ski under a log of gore myself during a fall onto a broken-off-branch sticking out from a log, discovering that it's talus underneath that open blanket of snow, falling into the air gaps  beneath the barely buried brush, and so forth. Kudos to those who are doing a great job compacting the base for those of us posting in this thread...

More
22 Dec 2008 14:37 #184680 by weezer
Replied by weezer on topic Re: Early Season Pet Peave
The inlaws are here now, no more waiting

• Charlie Hagedorn
  • [trumpetsailor]
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
More
23 Dec 2008 15:58 #184696 by Charlie Hagedorn
Replied by Charlie Hagedorn on topic Re: Early Season Pet Peave

I also gave away all my rock skis last season after someone who wasn't an adult asked me why I had skis to "ski rocks".  Kids ask the "darnest questions".

Did the same knowledgeable person avail himself of the snowy streets? It's a lot easier to do when you're not risking something expensive...

I often come around to your viewpoints, Zap, but it often takes a few mishaps and experientially learned lessons before I do.