Home > Trip Reports > 12/18, Morgan (street) couloir, West Seattle range

12/18, Morgan (street) couloir, West Seattle range

12/18/08
WA elsewhere
Posted by Pete A on 12/19/08 12:25am
I've been eyeing this line for years, but so rarely is this range in shape to ski...a steep, icey descent from the heights of west seattle to sea level....I was glad I had kept my 195cm K2 Extremes...their 65mm waist for ideal for such a technical, no-falls allowed ski.

The approach was long...about 50 ft from my front door...and the occational car sliding sideways downhill added to the objective hazards I would face...fortunately the avalanche conditions were safe...I tried to dig a pit, but the tap test didn't work well with 2" of compact snow over asphalt. 

The descent went all too fast, but I did manage five laps after work before the daylight faded and I skied for home.

Clearly a classic, Pete.
My hat's always off to those that nail first descents  :)

Becky - hope that hand heals quickly.

Very Nice. did you dig a pit?

Not much base, but plenty of local wildlife.

i tried to dig a pit but i couldn't get past the asphalt layer though to see how well it was bonded to the dirt underneath.

DAMN! Another stash revealed!

Shhhhh - the Baker folk will want to come down and track it out. You might also want to try my street - 39th- into Morgan, West Seattle's Crooked Couloir.

Very nice.  I scoped out a pretty sweet line down first avenue towards Northgate, but KC Metro contributed too much objective danger...

Love the vid.

Wow that's a tough line. i skied that area exrtensively for years.Our hut used to be on 39th between Grahmn and Raymond. Nice terrain ! Raymond from 35th west aspect  might be the steepest.

Sweet line and very inspirational!  That's definately the 'you fall you die' type of terrain.  Good on ya!

Sick turns Pete!

We've been skiing the back side of this range today.... myrtle street!

http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=121039020056

Reply to this TR

12-18-morgan-street-couloir-west-seattle-range
Pete A
2008-12-19 08:25:33