Home > Forum > 12/18 Crystal's nucelar pow fest

12/18 Crystal's nucelar pow fest

• Team Wally
  • [Team Wally]
More
18 Dec 2008 17:18 #214245 by Team Wally
12/18 Crystal's nucelar pow fest was created by Team Wally
My apologies, too busy choking on fresh to take photos or vids. My O MY. Rolled in Wed Am, this morning there was nearly 2 feet of fresh on the roof of my jeep in B lot. Snowed off and on all day yesterday and all day today. It is still puking powder as I type. Cold temps and very low moisture content have made for unbelievable light, dry snow. Virtually no consolidation even after being ski cut. Patrol has been putting major effort into getting North and South back open, 6 ran all day with incredible face shots on every aspect. Hit upper E and lower bull late in the day and they skied as well then as they did in the am. If you haven't made it up yet NOW is the time. Dress warm, low teens and single digits forecast for the next few days. That is all

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 Dec 2008 18:47 #214246 by gout
Replied by gout on topic Re: 12/18 Crystal's nucelar pow fest
Oooh yes, nuclear pow-fest is right.

• everestbill
  • [everestbill]
More
19 Dec 2008 07:26 #214249 by everestbill
Replied by everestbill on topic Re: 12/18 Crystal's nucelar pow fest
If we told you how good it was, you not believe us. Fresh tracks in smoke snow, Willy's run and my private stash was out of this world.
I am 56 winters old and I have never skied better Snow, ever. I too kept the camera stashed and just "skied my ass off" West face and Cold face held even deeper snow, but what the heck the snow was flowing over the shoulders all day long.
I topped the day with big run top to bottom from 6 to base and never once skied groomed. Went up the BW to see Tracy and have a beer to find out that Tracy is not working this year, if you know about the best ski tender alive, we have all lost something special. Tracy thanks for all the great chat over 13 years, Crystal is less of montian without you.
The Comas are ammazing.
I felt like I was in Sinners all day long.

• everestbill
  • [everestbill]
More
19 Dec 2008 07:57 #214250 by everestbill
Replied by everestbill on topic Re: 12/18 Crystal's nucelar pow fest
One more thing, Hats off to the patrol for getting it all open, I saw them humpping boo all over the hill and pulling lines to make it all good in-bonds.
I heard they were out South trying to get that all strung out, not much fum in deep snow and carrying sleds to the King in this snow pack was a super human efforts on their part, again hats off to you guys and gals in the Swiss Army jackets.
WE understand it's still thin North and South and we all are still dancing to Ullr for a few more storms

• cardog100
  • [cardog100]
More
19 Dec 2008 08:22 #214251 by cardog100
Replied by cardog100 on topic Re: 12/18 Crystal's nucelar pow fest
Amazing! One is tempted to use the "E" word. Real face-shots in cold blower all day long. After failing to free my camera from my pack the whole day, I feel much better reading the prior posts confessing a similar unwillingness to stop skiing and start snapping pics. Ditto the kudos to the ski patrol, as they were truly busting their collective butts to get things open safely.

• Keith_Henson
  • [Keith_Henson]
More
20 Dec 2008 14:14 #214258 by Keith_Henson
Replied by Keith_Henson on topic Re: 12/18 Crystal's nucelar pow fest
Be sure to check out Team Wally (Craig) on the latest Crystal Vision video (12-18 and 12-19 conditions) skiing and announcing.

More
21 Dec 2008 15:34 #214264 by skifish
Replied by skifish on topic Re: 12/18 Crystal's nucelar pow fest
West Face on Thursday, made the hike early (after two memorial choke sessions). West Face was beyond description, one of the few snorkel days I have ever had in the cascades. On the first run, I only saw the sky twice. Victor, Zach, Clifford and I could not speak when we arrived at the Green Valley lift. There were simply no words that were sufficient to describe the experience. Later skiied Snake pit, upper bull, Willies. Hit one rock on Green Valley bowl. I think it helps to hike crystal in the summer so that you know which aspects are best in early season. Certainly not High Campbell!

What a day!

• Team Wally
  • [Team Wally]
More
21 Dec 2008 18:53 #214265 by Team Wally
Replied by Team Wally on topic Re: 12/18 Crystal's nucelar pow fest
It just keeps on coming ! Snowed on and off all day today ( Sunday 21, December) As of 18:40 it is piliing up over an inch per hour in B lot. This morning was a little sketchy on the wind loaded aspects which was just about everything not sheltered by trees. The good news: Tree runs were solid big money. Northback was a ghost town, lap after lap with no one else around. Had to wake the lifties up to load the chair. I think tomorrow will be even better. The runs that were skied showed some evidence of consolidation, particularly the 12-18 from Thur and Fri. This should set up for a great base and encourage debris coverage. Many times today the first drop was ok, but the second person thru had to dodge the rocks. What a great Christmas present. Well worth calling in with EYE PROBLEMS (just can't see coming in) That is all.

More
23 Dec 2008 10:39 - 23 Dec 2008 10:43 #214269 by rbtree
Replied by rbtree on topic Re: 12/18 Crystal's nucelar pow fest
Some pics from Friday.

skied with joedabaker, Scott K, Dave S, Lance, Clem, Mike, and other rippers. As stated, too good to stop and shoot any action.

Exterminator, Right Angle, Bull Run had room for freshies, caught rope drop on Northway, Paradise Bowl was deep and perfect. Too boney for much else to be open there, so we went south. Two excellent lines down Avy Basin, then closed the day in Silver Basin. Mid thigh day old blower made for a near epic day. Thursday, when it fell at 3-4% was epic, as those who were there reported.

Shot 2: If you don't know this area, tough....heh
Shot 3, the col before the King. My tracks on the left.

A few more pics here:

www.flickr.com/photos/rbtree/sets/72157611377187111/

How's that for a first post?  Been lurking here for years. Kick me!
Attachments:

• Kyle Miller
  • [Kyle Miller]
More
23 Dec 2008 10:47 #214270 by Kyle Miller
Replied by Kyle Miller on topic Re: 12/18 Crystal's nucelar pow fest
Welcome Rbtree I was afraid Northback was still to boney so I stayed away
Exterminator is in good condition
Well at least good enough to lap all day ;)