Home > Trip Reports > January 4, 2004, Crystal bc

January 4, 2004, Crystal bc

1/4/04
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by JW on 1/4/04 7:46pm
Met quite a good gang at Buzzy's, Greenwater for some chow to ward off the freezing temps(10 degrees at base).  Headed up to Crystal for a short tour out above the Henskin lake area. Ski patrol said things were pretty stable and surface sluffing should be our main concern.  Due to time constraints we made our way to some nice lines in the trees and yo-yo'd these several times. The snow was cold , smokey and deep (about 30" to the first hint of a crust. Deep enough to convince a rapidly aging guy like myself to ski off about a ten foot high rock a couple of times. I was of course prompted by a much younger companion (Stefan),who's aerobatics were awesome !  All in all a great day, and a great group!
My photos can be found @ http://community.webshots.com/album/109053182DKaKqk
;D It was one of the best days so far.  Those pow pow face shots over the head and down the neck were quite exhilarating!!  BTW nice job to you and Stephan on that jump from the rock, it was GREAT!!!

Thanks, but remember Madoggy, next time I'm bringin the liquid courage so we can see you fly! ;)

Jerry - thanks for getting some pictures of me standing up.  Thanks for Ron for showing us a great safe place to ski.

Folks, I'm jealous.  Nice pics!

-kam

didja ever notice how old people never quite make it to the front of the line to break trail?
The thanks go to Darryl, Ingrid, Stefan and Jerry for breaking trail through two ft of ootah pow (uphill, both ways!) to get us there.  Nice job, gang.  Great group.

Reply to this TR

january-4-2004-crystal-bc
JW
2004-01-05 03:46:40