Home > Trip Reports > December 14, Hidden Lake Area

December 14, Hidden Lake Area

12/15/08
WA Cascades East Slopes Central
Posted by Kevin Steffa on 12/16/08 3:59pm
Photos here:

http://picasaweb.google.com/kevinsteffa/08_12_SibleyPoint#

Interesting with the lowland snow sat night, none of it made it to Marblemount... Things looking dry here, and the cascade river road, also dry. Hidden Lake forest road in good shape since the washout repair, was able to chain up to about 2500' or so... 6-8" on the road.

From the opening of the basin, three choices:

1) Straight. Sibley Pass. Bad idea - lots of windloading with a smooth ground surface. Big slides happen here all the time.

2) Right: Glades up to timberline on hidden lake peak, held stable snow, relatively protected, but not quite enough base to cover the brush for skiing yet. We saw a few snowshoers who looked like they were coming down from the lookout. Must have been a windy night up there.

3) Left: Mostly wind scoured terrain here, grass still showing through the ice. A few lines of trees provide some protection from the wind and exposure to get to the saddle point and knob overlooking Marble Creek Cirque. Challenging conditions, but amazing views!

Great pics as always! Glad to see you made it out there, and were able to get fairly far up the road given the lowland snow!

Probably a little more difficult to get there now -- I just noticed that it is currently snowing in marblemount, at last!

However, the road was a fun glide, cross-country style, and there are no down trees, which makes snowmobiling in easy. Now, if only we could find a 4x4 with a small plow attachment - it wouldn't take much to keep it open at least to the 2500' level...

- Kevin

Hey Kevin, do they plow the Cascade River Road, or do we assume with low snow levels that it's covered too?

The cascade river road is generally plowed at least the first 6 miles in where there are settlements. I have generally seen signs of plowing in the past at least to the Monogram Lakes / Lookout mountain trailhead - this is nearly always accessible.

Since it was dry until yesterday there, I am guessing that with chains can probably travel at least to the hidden lakes road turnoff or beyond, it will be pretty similar to the snow load at marblemount or newhalem where the webcams are and folks that can be reached for a report...

Has anyone had any experience with staying in the Hidden Lake Lookout in the winter?  All the info I've found indicates that it's never locked and Scurlock's photos seem to show no winter storm shutters over the windows, though it's hard to tell under all the rime.

I imagine the spindrift will find it's way in if it's really blowing...

Thinking about an overnight sometime in the next few weeks with a clear forecast, because this looks pretty darn nice...

Anyone had experience with any Cascade Lookouts in December/January?  Lookout Mountain Lookout down the Cascade River road or Copper Mountain Lookout.

i have been up to the Lookout Mt. Lookout in april 2006. Here are a few photos. It was totally open and ready to be slept in. The first photo shows the inside, and the third shows Little Devil Peak in background with some good skiing as well.

Reply to this TR

december-14-hidden-lake-area
Kevin Steffa
2008-12-16 23:59:47