Home > Trip Reports > December 14: Commonwealth and Kendell

December 14: Commonwealth and Kendell

12/15/08
WA Snoqualmie Pass
Posted by savegondor on 12/16/08 2:18pm
The 18inches of snowpack was on top of nothing and 3% moisture content to boot.  Snoqualmie's gunna need a ton more.  Don't even think about it.  I went through a stick of p-tex repairing the damage.
We went sledding at Snoq. West on the 14th...it was good for sledding, but while boot packing I was thinking how I was punching all the way to the ground.  Yeah, they need a bit more, nice pics though Jayme!

My rule of thumb for outside of the closed ski areas at Snoq has become about 50inches. Maybe others venture out earlier. I had some fun runs down the Silver Fir Area this weekend but you had to pick your lines carefully, ski lightly, and I used rock skis. Of course I have rock skis from taking similar trips to what you just described.

author=RonL link=topic=11525.msg47912#msg47912 date=1229532286]
My rule of thumb for outside of the closed ski areas at Snoq has become about 50inches. Maybe others venture out earlier. I had some fun runs down the Silver Fir Area this weekend but you had to pick your lines carefully, ski lightly, and I used rock skis. Of course I have rock skis from taking similar trips to what you just described.

any beta on Lundin peak in the photo?  also the back side of it had two chutes that looked pretty too.

I didn't recognize Lundin from that angle. I only skied it once, and I haven't done the ones on the backside. It was pretty straight forward. The run kind of flattened out in some benches earlier than I thought it would and there was a drainage trap but it was obvious. It was fun, there was more snow then.

From your pictures it looks like you are standing on cave ridge - did you do a big loop?

Reply to this TR

december-14-commonwealth-and-kendell
savegondor
2008-12-16 22:18:09