Home > Trip Reports > Cowboy Mtn, Stevens Pass 12/14

Cowboy Mtn, Stevens Pass 12/14

12/15/08
WA Stevens Pass
Posted by lapaz25 on 12/15/08 1:40am
Couldn't believe how good it was! The Stevens parking lots had quite a few cars to our dismay and the groomers had packed down some precious pow on the frontside. However, when we turned the corner on Cowboy, we were delighted to be greeted with sunshine, 24-30" of fresh, light pow, and only 2 tracks in sight.

Thigh-high, face shot, flawless skiing was had the whole way down.  Derek, Chuck, and I just couldn't believe how good it was.  Onxy, the 1yr old black lab, literally swam down the slope, only nose and ears above the pow.

Not too shabby! Our ski down the front side at the end of the day surprised us as we were able to hit untracked powder on the side of the runs the whole way down. 

Chilly temps brought on a frostbite scare on the faces, but masks remedied that very quickly.

Here's to skiing while 8 months pregnant and looking forward to a great ski year!

~Lara
(p.s may get some pics loaded tonight-too cold for camera, but did get a money shot)
Way to get after it! 
We found similar conditions nearby on Big Chief Mtn ("backside" of the ski area).  Still fairly boney below ~5,000-ft, but good turns up high.  Great to ski sunny aspects holding deep dry snow!
My camera battery was in a frostbite coma for most of the trip, but still managed to get a few pics:
http://picasaweb.google.com/chriscass1/StevensPassBackcountryPolarisBowlDec142008?authkey=qGwd6UYhLnc#

Glad to see other TAYers were getting a piece of the powdery action.  Looks like Skyline Ridge and beyond was hit, too!  Most excellent day indeed!

~L

We were tag teaming your group up, went out to the backside and were rewarded with awesome turns, few sloghs on steeper sections, and a exit by headlamp-good stuff. I was really suproised by the conditions, even lower down on the frontside easily waist deep

Laura,
Cowboy Mountain brings back great memories of skiing to the highway and hitching rides as a kid.
Glad you got out there and chilled out with the soon-born.
Good to condition that newborn trail breaker in the prenatal stage!
That way your child can say that he/she was skiing that before they were born! :D

Sorry I  missed it! As the day fell apart for us, so it's a double-shame for me. Looking forward to skiing with Chuck later in Dec...

author=lapaz25 link=topic=11494.msg47806#msg47806 date=1229362806]
Couldn't believe how good it was! The Stevens parking lots had quite a few cars to our dismay and the groomers had packed down some precious pow on the frontside. However, when we turned the corner on Cowboy, we were delighted to be greeted with sunshine, 24-30" of fresh, light pow, and only 2 tracks in sight.

Good work!  Where exactly did you skin up, and where were your runs?  Last week Rock Garden etc. still had lots of talus showing.

Backside (out of bounds of ski area) of Cowboy-not the front where 7th heaven lift dumps ya.

I think Steven's opens Thursday, so it won't be available for skinning to after that.

~Lara

Reply to this TR

cowboy-mtn-stevens-pass-12-14
lapaz25
2008-12-15 09:40:06