Home > Trip Reports > 12/14/2008, Paradise unskiable but beautiful

12/14/2008, Paradise unskiable but beautiful

12/14/08
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by JibberD on 12/14/08 2:36pm
David W. and I carpooled to Paradise today. I think we'll remember this one, not for the skiing but for the super cold temps, blowing wind and mega deep blanket of powdercrete.

The gate opened at 11:XX, chains or AWD only. We chained up the Accord and had no problems on the plowed, very icy road either up or down. I hadn't been to Longmire/Paradise in a couple of years and was a little shocked to see the three state-trooper-esque rangers armed with weapons controlling the gate. When did that tone set in?

Up at Paradise we were greeted by 7 degree temps and approx. 20 mph winds and 30-50 inches of deeeep, soft chowder. COLD and bottomless!!

It was great to see ron j and Mad Dog. Hope to ski with you guys soon.

After some changes in plans and direction due to strong winds we decided to follow Gordy and Bonnie up the west side of Alta Vista with the hope of making the ridge from the north to ski a lee line. Gordy powered a skin track to the ridge which had a line of wind and snow ripping over it. The thought of stepping into that weather was was not appealing. While standing on the lee side of AVista and in a wind protected spot we heard a whoompf and I felt the snow I was standing on drop and inch or so. FREAKY! Nothing slid as we were on a low angle, approx. 25 degrees with lots of tree anchors. Nonetheless there was now a crack in the snow pack about ten feet uphill from me and there was an obvious failure in the snowpack. At that point the alarm was loud and clear and we entered retreat mode. Gordy reported looking over the ridge and seeing cracks on the east side of Alta Vista as well. Our whoompf happened at ~6100ft, west facing wind loaded slope.

Heading down meant basically sticking to the skin track as venturing into the fresh led to the sinking feeling as one quickly bogged down. Making a turn was virtually impossible on skis. If anyone managed to crank out a turn anywhere at Paradise today, we didn't see it. Just skiers retreating to the parking lot via a hard won skin track.

Anyway, it was a beautiful day, the snowpack needs to be watched, and we'll be back when things are better suited to actually getting in a turn or two.

Taking shelter from a gust:

More photos

:)
That was me in the grey MB with the roof box.  I skinned up with the loose group to the last rocks before the bottom of Pan Pt and skinned back.  Saw about 5 trying to go up right of Pan Pt.....

I think the police were there in force due to worries about the road and drivers going off the road and such.  Just be glad we don't have the need for the US Park Police to come in the summer. 

It certainly was beautiful and brutal at Paradise.  Ron, myself, Chuck and Linda headed out until the thoughts of frostbite and maneuvering in the deep became a bit overwhelming, did one quick turn around and headed back to the new Paradise visitor center for a little "party".  Winter has arrived  ;)!!  Nice visiting with everyone at Longmire prior to the gate opening.

I was there on a splitboard.
very cold and waayyyy too deep.

Thanks for the great report Jibber. It was an interesting snowpack! You're right about the skiing, but I'm glad I got the experience of that kind of snow and conditions in fairly safe terrain near the car. Many, many thanks for retrieving my skin!

Reply to this TR

12-14-2008-paradise-unskiable-but-beautiful
JibberD
2008-12-14 22:36:43