Home > Trip Reports > Tuesday AM Hike Up To Yakima Peak/Chinook Pas

Tuesday AM Hike Up To Yakima Peak/Chinook Pas

12/15/08
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by Waddle0620 on 12/9/08 8:44am
I got up to Chinook Pass at about 8:00 AM this morning.  Lots of snow, 20" or more.  Plenty of tracks coming down the backside of Naches Peak, but none off of Yakima Peak.  No skins or AT gear, so I booted up to the bottom of the rock face of Yakima Peak, and then around the other side so I could take a look at the view of Crystal and Rainier.  Awesome!

Snow on the ridge line was above my waist.  In general, up to my knees, fairly heavy, but light enough to ski.

Had my rock skis, K2 Machs about 8 years old.  Problem was, the bindings were too loose and no screwdriver.  Every time I jumped out of the concrete, my skis came off!

So I took a more non-aggressive approach, and had fun anyway.

Got to the bottom, and a local Greenwater ripper was twin-tipping a man-made into the parking lot.  We jumped for awhile, I took this pic, and back to work in Yakima.

Yea we saw the guy with kicker as well. He was building it when Chugach went up to him and pee'd over it, sorry about that.! He said he was going to practise his jibbing and then had a skate boarding contest in Renton in the afternoon. I want his lifestyle!

We didn't think there was enough  snow so we retreated to Crystal.
Just goes to show you that sometimes you've just got to get out of the car.
Well done !

Looks like you had a good morning up there.  I hope you took those snake skins back to that store and got a refund.

Reply to this TR

tuesday-am-hike-up-to-yakima-peak-chinook-pas
Waddle0620
2008-12-09 16:44:23