Home > Trip Reports > 11/8/08 Mount Rainier: No Wind, Powder, VIDEO!!!

11/8/08 Mount Rainier: No Wind, Powder, VIDEO!!!

11/8/08
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by savegondor on 12/9/08 1:18am
Camp Muir was beautiful today.  First BC tour for my brother on the split board. 

10 inches of light and dry new, no wind, sunny above 7500.  Reports from above 9000 by an AT fellow indicate crusty higher up. 

Enjoy the vid!!!

http://www.facebook.com/p.php?i=821055245&k=631X4VU2S64M5CAHRDW3PT

I'm definitely jealous...  I was up there Sunday and there was almost zero visibility above Pebble Creek and wind that almost knocked my partner and I down a few times.  Looks like a perfect day up there!

Ditto, our group of four made it to Pebble Creek on Sunday, after almost being blown over multiple times by gusty winds, salvaged a couple turns and beat feet back to the car.

Sweeet!!!  All that sunshine and fresh pow...definately the place to be!  It was nice meeting you both!  Our grand plan turned into a grand work out with very few turns, so you didn't miss anything (except lots of rocks everywhere :p  ) by staying at Muir Snowfield.  Way to get after it!

Here's what we saw....

Nice to meet you too!! I'm sorry you didn't reap the harvest we did.  But then Karma is probably at play here. :)  Give me a clear day and I'll be where you were in a slit second...looks like good scenery to boot!

Way to get great conditions up there savegondor to get pow and sunshine on muir is few and far between.

author=Kyle Miller link=topic=11433.msg47510#msg47510 date=1228855986]
Way to get great conditions up there savegondor to get pow and sunshine on muir is few and far between.

seems like  the pattern that sets up muir for pow pow are those more northerly fronts that come from the Queen Charlettes and drop strait south with Winds out of the West instead of the Southwest.  Then storms more often end calm and cold instead of warm, wet, and windy.  Look for this set up for Sunday or Monday as well!!

Not that Muir, which is a Green run by Montana ski resort standards, is that great of a drop.  Paradise however....ummmm good.  That and THE STASH and the McClure Rock stash are East facing gems. 

author=Plinko link=topic=11433.msg47503#msg47503 date=1228847271]
Sweeet!!!  All that sunshine and fresh pow...definately the place to be!  It was nice meeting you both!  Our grand plan turned into a grand work out with very few turns, so you didn't miss anything (except lots of rocks everywhere :p  ) by staying at Muir Snowfield.  Way to get after it!

Here's what we saw....

I see the loud colors of snowbell wearing his windshirt... hope you all managed to get in some turns- long way to go. How did the glacier look? Probably some lurking cracks.

Chris

author=savegondor link=topic=11433.msg47508#msg47508 date=1228851714]
Nice to meet you too!! I'm sorry you didn't reap the harvest we did.  But then Karma is probably at play here. :) 

I'm not sure that I want to know what you mean.  ;)  Good to meet you guys too.   I'm headed up tomorrow with the idea of a hybrid route.  If I don't return, send your brother out with the nordic poles to probe for me on the Paradise.  He is hardcore.

Nice to meet you and your brother as well.  I love the new snow, cold temps, and warm sun 8).  It was my first day boarding 8 weeks out from shoulder surgery and I'm still stoked about it.  Can't wait to get out again; looks like it's going to be a cold one.  By the way, nice pics and video!

Reply to this TR

11-8-08-mount-rainier-no-wind-powder-video
savegondor
2008-12-09 09:18:27