Home > Forum > December 29, 2003, Alpental BC

December 29, 2003, Alpental BC

• hankj
  • [hankj]
More
30 Dec 2003 02:44 - 30 Dec 2003 02:48 #211703 by hankj
December 29, 2003, Alpental BC was created by hankj
I took 3 laps in the Alpental BC on Monday morning.  The weather was incredible -- sunny, very clear and in the 20's.  Lot of traffic in the BC.  Slipped off the traverse above Stokes bowl (snowboard w/ one foot strapped) and had to swim uphill in 36 inches of drifted unconsolidated cold powder to the trail.  Toughest 5 feet of my year so far.<br><br>The snowline was just higher than North Bend on the drive up.  The snow was nice and soft and deep everywhere out there.  Nice scene with the bright blue sky and frosted trees.  <br><br>Stability seemed like it should be a lot worse than the hole I dug indicated, so I stuck to the safer paths until I wrong-turned into some cliff bands around Sunshine.  I don't know that area too well, but I ended up at an 8 foot drop into a tight notch ringed with a not-fun-looking moat, then a series of hop turns down a skinny, 50-odd degree ridge with a few exposed moments.  Could have opted for an easier big gully right after the drop-in, but it looked too much like a last resting place avy wise.  It felt creepy riding past the nearly buried avy debris at the bottom of the Mushroom col. knowing that a frozen person is under there.  Stayed inside the ropes after that.  The inbounds is totally tracked out and starting to get bumped up but still soft and fun.<br><br>

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.