Home > Trip Reports > nov 30, 2008, Paradise roll call?

nov 30, 2008, Paradise roll call?

11/30/08
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by silaswild on 11/30/08 9:18am
Nice spring weather at Paradise today. It seemed that nearly 100 skiers and boarders showed up for what is some of the best skiing in the state right now. Little wind, but cool when clouds came in around midday. Icy firm snow above 9000', perfect smooth corn to 8000', somewhat sloppy and sticky down to Pan Point where easy skiing ended.

Many familiar and not so familiar tay faces. All in attendance please report in, and correct my conditions assessment. 
Present, as was Rickster and Patri.  Beautiful day on the mountain!   8)

Count  Skinut, GVogt and Robie as official watchers .We hiked down to the nisqually moraine and back up . We inspected Rusty Knees and friends gear before he left the lot.

Lots of folks on the mountain today. Sweet corn cruising midway down the snowfield. Beautiful sunrise and sunset.

We were there (me, son Zach, Zach's friend Jay).  It was a long walk to skiing, but the skiing there was turned out to be pretty nice.  And the views were spectacular - what a sunset!

Snowdawg Jr. and I were there. He hit the 36 month milestone today. Great day!

Kept the streak alive with 10 hours to spare! Nice day.

Atacomite, that was a beautiful sunset picture.  That was the most amazing sunset I've ever seen up there.  Nice to meet you up there.

What a great day - somebody called it Mayvember.  I was up there with the TAY van pool.  Representing the tele religion: Moscawulf (Brad), Stephen, Nick, Joe G and me.  And the two fallen AT angels, Silas and Brian.  I got to meet a ton of people, The Warren family from my neck of the woods, Kyle Miller, Atacomite, Freighttrainer and his family. 

It was some of the nicest skiing on muir I've ever had.  And the weather couldn't have been nicer.  So warm, I contemplated a nap on the rocks by Anvil - my highpoint, until Wolfs and Brian Patterson showed up to disturb my own private Idaho. ;) 

Moscawulf was our main photographer, hope he post some.
Rusty knees out.

It was a great day to be on the snowfield! I enjoyed the spring November conditions and my boys Peter and John had a great time as well.  It was great to see that many people out who believe that turns are worth climbing for!

Clintster was there with 2 friends. Big crowd! Here's some pics of the ascent before my battery crapped out: http://www.zoomin.com/AlbumViewV1.aspx?AlbumGuid=17e497e5-e4ed-4a7a-b40f-3598be1d1624&Type=public

Hey Freightrainer, send that first picture to telemarktips.com  That has coverpage rollingstone rockstar potential.

Kyle Miller and I were up there.  We ran into Zack(alope) and co., a familiar face, along with some others.  My high point was 9500' due to me waiting with a guest who had been brought with but got sick.  :(  However, definitely some of the best corn conditions...too bad it's June snow conditions in November.  Pics later (some sunset ones too...I agree, one of the best sunsets I have ever seen)

*Edited to spell Zack's name right...lol

Joined the fun with Aligato and a couple of non-TAY friends.  Great to see everyone and a beautiful day on the mountain.

A couple more pictures.

Gato here, skinning was good from Pebble Creek.  Definitely some of the best conditions on the snowfield I've ever skied.  Ran into loads of good people, kept the fires stoked.  That crazy sunset and weather totally beat my expectations. 

How has nobody mentioned the FREE BEER given to us at Muir?!!!  Thanks, Mike.  Sad to see you go but glad you're our face in Congress.

author=gato link=topic=11349.msg47154#msg47154 date=1228172181]
Gato here, skinning was good from Pebble Creek.  Definitely some of the best conditions on the snowfield I've ever skied.  Ran into loads of good people, kept the fires stoked.  That crazy sunset and weather totally beat my expectations. 

How has nobody mentioned the FREE BEER given to us at Muir?!!!  Thanks, Mike.  Sad to see you go but glad you're our face in Congress.

What, what , am I missing something here. Do we have a backcountry skiing congressman who gives free beer at Muir?? Please explain. This state could become a utopia with that sort of representation!

Forgot to put in my report - the boys did build a kicker on the last ridge above Pebble Creek.  Zach tried the alley-oop 270 a few times, but couldn't rotate it past 180.  The boys spent most of the afteroon with jackets off enjoying the warm weather.  That would be lovely in May, but not November!

So sad to hear that Mike is leaving us! Any plans for a Fond Farewell get-together? I need to shop in advance for the perfect outfit :)

Being brand new and on my first tour with a TAY group, I couldn't of hoped for a better day. Great skiing, great people, and a mini-farewell party for Mike at Muir. AWESOME! Thanks to Rusty Knees for bringing me along.  To everyone else: "Hi, my name's Nick, I'm into skiing".

It was a good day being in the mountains and meeting people that I have been talking to for years now and seeing others that I share a significant bond with. I must admit this was the first time that I drank at a social gathering at 10,000 feet and it was in great company.

We have something very special here and it was apparent yesterday at the Muir shelter

It was a prolific day! Thanks Mike for the tasty beer!

On the way out we captured these pictures of the sunset:

wow, nice shots.

Damn, what a day on the mountain! 

Myself (Stephen), Rusty Knees (Don), Joe, Moscawulf (Brad), skee17 (Nick), balexand (Brian), and Silas (silaswild?) headed down with expectations of "It's a nice day to be out" kind of day, but we were in for a treat.  Great weather all day, had to hike to just above Pebble Creek and slick skinning up to Muir. 

And yes at Muir, there was the often dreamt about (but seldom materializing) free beer and as an added bonus, a bottle of Tanqueray!  By then the snow had softened up enough and after 500' of bulletproof, it was spring corn all the way to the dismount point.  And the sunset was absolutely astounding, kept on getting better and better. 

Ron and Jeanette were also sighted early on the hike in, and not again, perhaps off to some secret stash with their own liquid refreshment instead of the free stuff at Muir.  We skinned with Pete and Becky for a while too.  Got to meet Kurt Hummel and some of his White Pass posse back at the car.  The afternoon clearing and firey sunset made for great photos.

If anyone is planning on throwing Mike Gauthier a going away party, bring lots of Crown Royal....it's his favorite!  He will be missed on the mountain by many others as well as myself... :'(

author=silaswild link=topic=11349.msg47197#msg47197 date=1228196980]
Got to meet Kurt Hummel and some of his White Pass posse back at the car.  The afternoon clearing and firey sunset made for great photos.

Kurt is a fun man to hang out with and a hard man to keep up with skiing, and mountain biking.  Likewise are his sons....as Christy will vouch for as well.

I was a bit late to the party, since my friend Vic was still enroute from Corvallis where his beloved Beaver's Coug'd it on saturday.  He finally got back to the 'claw about 8:30, a little bleary, worse for wear and tear.  I wasn't really looking forward to yet another Muir slog with 500 of my closest friends, but it turned out to be a great day.  Yes, I did run into Rusty Knees on top of Moon Rock and ended up making some turns with Wolfs (nice to meet you).  Being pretty liberal, I drifted left of the main crowd and enjoyed excellent carving snow all the way to McClure Rock.  What a treat!  And to think that for a moment on Sunday morning, I was tempted to go back to bed and put my streak to rest.  Now, at 122 months, I am renewed in my zeal.  Yay Tahoma!

Some more pics from that day

author=skifish link=topic=11349.msg47208#msg47208 date=1228229537]
And to think that for a moment on Sunday morning, I was tempted to go back to bed and put my streak to rest.  Now, at 122 months, I am renewed in my zeal.  Yay Tahoma!

Man!  10 years and two months.  And so young...you must have been 12 when you started. ;D  I'm betting your streak will now be safe until next July or August.  Reset your goal for 240.  Let me know when you want to meet up at Chinook.  We'll go hoar hunting.

Reply to this TR

nov-30-2008-paradise-roll-call
silaswild
2008-11-30 17:18:07