Home > Trip Reports > Rainy Pass, Lake Ann Cirque 11/28

Rainy Pass, Lake Ann Cirque 11/28

11/15/08
Posted by jasonsalvo on 11/30/08 8:07am
Following in the very tracks of another TAY-er, Siri and I skied from Rainy Pass to what I think was Maple Pass and then down to lake Ann. We followed the PCT from the parking lot to the pass and, skinning the entire way (though walking across rocks and the occasional stream sometimes) we made it to the pass in just under 2 hours.

There was an obvious shrubby slide path down to the lake that we skied (perhaps 700 vf). Dodging branches, but hitting zero rocks, the snow was splendidly creamy. There seemed to be a hard, frozen layer beneath 4-8" of heavy-ish snow, which kept us from bottoming out among the saplings. For what it was, the turns were great. Unfortunately, our skins had been piling up with snow during the climb and we decided not to ski another run.

The ski down the PCT back to the car was tremendously exciting. Most people, I suspect, would have walked, or at least put their skins on so as to slow down a bit. But Siri and I, having skis we don't care tremendously about, made it back without removing our skis once. We did do some walking over rocks and across a stream or two, but what's a little lost p-tex among friends? The result, no core shots, lots of scratches, and we probably shaved an hour off our time - and, of course, how long the trip took was what it's all about, right?.

I think we were just about three hours, car to car.
Glad you got some nice turns in.  I think snoslut and I talked to you as we were getting back to the trailhead on Thursday afternoon. 

Thanksgiving (11.27.08) was quiet up there.  We were lucky to have blue skies and boot top pow in the gullies off the peak above the lake.  No mank and no rocks!

Yes indeed, that was us. And I'm glad we talked to you. I'm not sure we would have motivated to go had it not been for your positive report.

Also, I'm glad you posted that picture. I was wondering what the views were like from up there...

Cool.  Nice meeting you.

That's amazing that you were able to ski the whole way down to the trailhead.

We weren't quite as skilled  :'(  ;)

Reply to this TR

rainy-pass-lake-ann-cirque-11-28
jasonsalvo
2008-11-30 16:07:12