Home > Trip Reports > 11/28, 29...2008, Rogers Pass. BC

11/28, 29...2008, Rogers Pass. BC

11/28/08
Canada BC
Posted by JW on 11/29/08 2:31pm
As Scotsman once said to me: "Extraordinary skiing takes extraordinary effort."
So we forsook the family dinner (as well as the families) and drove north for 9 hours to Rogers' Pass, where there were flurries and the temperature was just below freezing at 4 PM on Thanksgiving.  We three gave thanks by skinning up Cannaught Creek on Friday morning with a handful of Canadians playing hooky.  Being new to the area, we went straight up to the end of the valley where Balu Pass glimmered in the grey light.  After briefly adopting a young solo skier named "Eric", we climbed to the top of the pass and continued north up the ridge towards Ursus Major Mt. Of course, no extraordinary effort - it was our thanksgiving, right!? So we chilled at a level spot, and dropped to the bottom of the slopes below Balu, and back up again, at least once. Then back down the 5-6 km luge run, AKA Cannaught Creek trail, to the hot tub where we shared cheap Bridgeport ales with some grateful Canuck rippers......ok ok If you couldn't tell that was my wife Jen reporting. the next day ,Saturday the weather was about the same with snow flurries and off and on vis. We headed up the same drainage but took another route which took us to Hospital bowl where we found some great terrain, needs more snow but it was still really fun. took some runs on about 8 to 10 inches of consolidated pow. Then on  our way back out the way we came we saw an area called Ursus trees. Despite the lateness of the day we couldn't resist so ended up skinning up a steep uptrack through the trees. At the top of the ridge we met the Canadian lads with whom we had shared a hot-tub beer. They had skied the ridge above and where re-skinning for another lap, so we followed them with their encouragement.
We were tired but couldn't resist so we lugged our sorry asses after them until the ridge narrowed and became rocky. The ski down the ridge was the best skiing of the trip. By this time it was late and we still had to navigate the steep track down to the "luge" run back to the hotel. It wasn't as bad as we thought it would be but it did involve some bushwhacking and Scotty discoverd the best way to get down a thick, alder choked gully is to fall down it!
The luge run was completed in darkness and only JW had enough sense to use his headlamp, whereas Jen and Scotty preferred to navigate by sonar!
It was a big day and we where tired but beer, burgers, red wine and chocolate got us through.
Tomorrow the drive back!!!!!!
nice break out !

Sounds like a good trip. You didn't miss anything here it's still raining :'(

Nice going JW, Jenn, et al.

wise words! to quote Hunter S. Thompson, "this mission calls for true grit, and we are chock full of that".....

Thanks for those beers in the hot tub, they didn't go unappreciated! Glad you enjoyed your turns up at Rogers this weekend. Hope your drive home went well. You didn't miss much today. As the freezing level came up the snow got heavier. We skinned up the Asulkan drainange for 2 hours and found some fun pillow lines to play on but we each stacked it at least once due to the weight of the snow hindering our jump turns. Cheers!

Hey thomasgoot, welcome to TAY. Thanks for showing us that ridge above Ursus Trees. Highlight of the trip and it was fun watching you guys rip up that slope!
Rogers Pass was a revelation and although my first time there, it will not be my last.

Feel free to contact me  or JW or Jen anytime you guys are south of the border or even want to ski in the Southern Cascades or Rainier area, we'll give you a place to stay and show you our stashes!

You can contact me a This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it..

Good times, eh!
Scotty.( chris)

PS. The drive home was 11 hrs counting ferry time and 1-1/4 hrs at the border crossing. It wasn't so bad as we where getting punchy by the end and silliness kept the bordom at bay!

Here's a frame grab of Scotty getting some big air..... 8) and a shot Jen took of Cougar Mt.  Thomas ...Jen and I echo what Chris said....good to meet you guys....Jerry

Goos show guys.

author=ron j link=topic=11344.msg47124#msg47124 date=1228145259]
Goos show guys.

Goos show indeed!   ;)
(Hey Ron; do you have a link to the F U Up song you were kind enough to DJ for us at Paradise last week?)

Thanksgiving smanksgiving when there is powder to be skied within a twelve hour drive!
It's good to know that you guys found the goods in the great white north.  I was a bit worried that you might get skunked with a rising FL.   Not that it would have stopped you, but I am glad that you were rewarded for your efforts.

I'll look forward to a cinematic documentation.

author=ron j link=topic=11344.msg47124#msg47124 date=1228145259]
Goos show guys.

Thanks Ron, my cornice huck is not quite as spectacular as the famous " Jarvis Jump" but I'm trying! :)

For those that have never been, here's a short Rogers Pass primer.

Pass is at about 4,300 ft and in some of the most steep, spectacular avalanche terrain I have ever seen. There is a hotel at the pass called the Glacier Lodge and the Visitor center is 100 yds away. The hotel is open all year and has a hot tub and swimming pool in an enclosed structure about 50 yds from the main hotel. The hotel is thinly staffed in the winter and service can suffer as a result but it offers all the basic needs. Price for a suite that the three of us shared was $109 Canadian!

You can literally ski from the hotel doorstep depending on your destination.
Visitor Center opens at 8.30 and signing in is mandatory due to the necessity to know where they will be doing avalanche control. Visitor center has weather report, avy report and is very informative. Rangers are BC skiers ( Luc is very helpful) and will give suggestions on routes and have large photo book showing terrain that you can look up.
Terrian is immense and nearly every tour involves complex terrain below huge avy paths.
Snowfall is prodigious and there will be a lot of people sharing the terrain as there is a big BC contingent in Golden and Revelstoke and Calgary is about 3-4 hours away. You will not be alone on the approach paths but the terrain is so immense that solitude can be found once up in the bowls and ridges.
Not for the beginner in my opinion and the avy danger was moderate when we where there but it is usually in the considerable and higher rating for most of the winter. HUGE, ENORMOUS avy paths.
Well worth a trip.

Sounds like a sweet trip!  Thanks for the info on Rogers Pass, sounds like it would be a sweet destination!  Nice huck!

Glad to see others are discovering the joys of early season Selkirk Powder.  The 4th Annual Bellingham TurkeyPowfest was held at the 7,000 ft. Asulkin Cabin.  A freakin' good time was had by all.  Pictures and crappy video here.  Enjoy.

http://picasaweb.google.com/GreggCronn/2008ThanksgivingTripToRogersPass#

author=Snow Bell link=topic=11344.msg47130#msg47130 date=1228153538]
(Hey Ron; do you have a link to the F U Up song you were kind enough to DJ for us at Paradise last week?)

Would that be the "God will F*&% You Up" song?

He'll f%$& you up (he'll f%$& you up)
Yes, God will f%$& you up
If you dare to disobey his stern command.
Don't you know he'll f%$& you up
So you better do some prayin' while you can.

What a great song.

author=lordhedgie link=topic=11344.msg47170#msg47170 date=1228186357">
Would that be the "God will F*&% You Up" song?

Yes, God will f%$& you up
If you dare to disobey his stern command.
Don't you know he'll f%$& you up
So you better do some prayin' while you can.

What a great song.

Please, please, gentlemen. let's not have all that profanation here...
The correct name for this gospel hymn is "The Hand of the Almighty" and I must say, you'd both better do some prayin' while you can.

author=Gregg_C link=topic=11344.msg47167#msg47167 date=1228183800]
Glad to see others are discovering the joys of early season Selkirk Powder. The 4th Annual Bellingham TurkeyPowfest was held at the 7,000 ft. Asulkin Cabin. A freakin' good time was had by all. Pictures and crappy video here. Enjoy.

http://picasaweb.google.com/GreggCronn/2008ThanksgivingTripToRogersPass#

Great photos, Gregg.

Gregg C thanks for the photos from the Alkusan side of the pass. One day in Washington and I want to go back! It's only 9 hours, if I left now I could be there by dawn......mmmmmm!
Great video and some lovely skiing from an obviously very experienced crew.

Great reports and great photos. Anybody making a return trip for Christmas? Maybe?  :)

Edited in response to Stugie: I'm your huckleberry. 

I'm down to go if there is a posse...

Scotty, Jen & Jerry,

Thanks for the open invitation! I've sent it on to Julian as he's the coastal dweller and the most likely to be in your neck of the woods. Likewise if you ever need some local snow info/places to stay for the Alberta/BC Rockies just let me know.

Cheers,
Tim (aka thomasgoot)
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

From Gregg's photos I see a few I recognize, our own Monica and Michael Jackson; way to get after it!!  I used to spend many a Thanksgiving with friends at Whistler and have not been to Rogers Pass since '98, g-damn I need to get a life!!!

Thanks for the inspiration!!  Great Asulkan cabin shots.  It makes me want  to move out of this god forsaken endless gray city we call Seattle and move north.  My heart has always been in the mountains and I often wonder why I am still here?
I guess school is a good reason, but UBC may be a better one.

My weekly writers group email made me laugh; (although don't be fooled, often times we talk less about agents and publishers than about skiing and mountain trips.)  Here is my response to:

Tis the season to be jolly and to drink a wee pint of ale at Dad Watsons tomorrow at 9:45 p.m. Please let me know if you can make it! Cheers, St. Nick

My response: "I will be there and will try to be nice even though I am fed up with the sh**ty gray days of Seattle and more than anxious for snow in the g-damn mountains....WTF?"

Then the smile came with:
I know EXACTLY how you feel. That’s why you need to have a drink, WTF?   

I am blessed to have skiers that are also writers so they can feel my pain and not think I am a nut....or, is it wing nut??  ;D

Thanks for the report... it gives me hope that Ymir outside Nelson will actually have some snow over New Year's!

author=ron j link=topic=11344.msg47171#msg47171 date=1228186905">
Please, please, gentlemen. let's not have all that profanation here...
The correct name for this gospel hymn is "The Hand of the Almighty" and I must say, you'd both better do some prayin' while you can.

Your resources are riveled only by your generosity.  Thanks Ron.

Reply to this TR

11-28-29-2008-rogers-pass-bc
JW
2008-11-29 22:31:21